Drarok

Member since Dec 2016 • Last active Oct 2017
  • 5 conversations
  • 21 comments

Most recent activity

• in Puck.js

Hah, brilliant! I built a little library to make it a little simpler for myself – I kept mixing up pixel index and the fact that each one is made of 3 array elements.

• in Puck.js

I've powered the ring off the 3.3v line of my power supply, and connected D30 direct to the ring's data pin, and now it's working!

Every so often, it has a bit of a wobble, but I think there's weird capacitance or grounding issues making the signals a bit unreliable.

• in Puck.js

@Spocki – Hmm, that's weird. I read elsewhere that they need a 5v supply and data line.

@Gordon – ah, amazing! I'll update to 1v92 and see how I get on after that. Thanks!

• in Puck.js

I've got a Neopixel Ring (12 LEDs), and two Pucks. I know they run on different voltages, so I've connected the Neopixel to a 5v USB supply, and used an opto-isolator to drive the data pin at 5v from the Puck.

I can't figure out how to make it work, though.

I've cobbled this together from various posts that I've found, but I assume I'm doing something wrong (or the Puck can't do the data rate I need perhaps?):

const PIN = D30;
    const LEDS = 3;

function main() {
      pinMode(PIN, 'output');
      // I'm using 400000 here because I read they need a 4- or 8kHz stream, but no dice.
      SPI1.setup({ baud: 400000, mosi: PIN });

let arr = new Uint8ClampedArray(3 * LEDS);
      let idx = 0;
      for (let i = 0; i < LEDS; ++i) {
        arr[idx++] = 255;
        arr[idx++] = 0;
        arr[idx++] = 0;
      }

console.log(arr);
      SPI1.send4bit(arr, 0b0001, 0b0011);
    }

main();

I've confirmed that the isolator can do upwards of 50kHz, and that it's working (by using a plain LED and setting D30 high – it lights from the 5v rail).

Help! Thanks in advance.

• in Puck.js

I've got a 3.3v power supply unit which I was using, but later also tried it just off the battery.

I've no idea what was causing the dimness – that's since gone away. Bad wiring or dodgy configuration is entirely likely!

• in Puck.js

I don't know what 'bias' means in this context.

I'm a developer, so confident of my code, but an electronics noob. Pretty sure it's working sensibly now, but either my breadboard has a bad connection with a wire, or I've soldered a wire badly. I wouldn't know how to share a schematic either, other than to take a picture of what I've got!

Thanks for your help though. 👍🏼

• in Puck.js

And now it's not working at all again, and I've no idea why! 😭

Edit: I think that failure was a dry joint or bad wire. Ugh!

• in Puck.js

Oh! Well, that's interesting.

I've switched to using SPI1.write(0b01000000, PINS.LATCH) and that almost works perfectly, except when I turn two adjacent LEDs on, one of them is extremely dim. I suspect that's just bad wiring or low battery, since if I turn them on individually, they work fine.

I can't believe it was such a simple mess up on my part. Thanks!

Actions