Bas

Member since Aug 2016 • Last active Sep 2017
  • 2 conversations
  • 9 comments

Most recent activity

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

There seems to be only analog sensors available in SOT23-3 package (with 1-2 °C resolution).

DS18B with 0,5°C resolution is available in 8-Pin SO (150 mils), 8-Pin µSOP, and
    3-Pin TO-92 Packages.

There is a temp sensor combined with memory in a 8 pin µMAX package.

Not sure what package fits best and is hand solderable ;-)

Wat about the DroidScript app?

Making a call from within your DroidScript app seems built in, using BLE API s could require paid plugins.

Why one BLE connection at a Time?
    Bluetooth protocol? chip constraints? Nrf firmware, puck firmware?

Would an autodisconnect option be useful to release "claiming" devices, or would they just reconnect after being disconnected by force?

• 4 comments
  • in General

thanks for the link of the microbit espruino compile log, but couldn't find a download link on that page.

i found a microbit hex file in a subdir of http://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis/­?C=M;O=D
    not in the master/ subdir, but in a hash subdir with about the same timestamp.

( http://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis/­a1c0d1c45284ff77895e44b38dda69952887bf3f­/espruino_1v87_microbit.hex )

After searching the hash in the log i found DGIT_COMMIT=a1c0d1c45284ff77895e44b38dda­69952887bf3f

now i know where to look :-)

• in General

Hi,

To kill some Time before Puck.js arrives, I got a micro:bit to play with. Started with some ble examples and the nice Lancaster uni documentation sets.

In the end I would like to play with ble on microbit espruino builds. The latest build I could find for microbit is 1v86, but a lot of ble bugfixes and features are added every day :-)

Is there a reason there are no recent (Travis) builds? Hard to config? Too little space on microbit? Love to follow all the ble commits and try stuff on my microbit (substitute) ;-)

Regards,
    Bas.

Nice to read the possibilities are almost endless :-)

About the file transfer, I can share a file/picture from one stock Android phone to another via Bluetooth. You have to manually accept the file on the receiving phone. Maybe the puck can mimic this (acting as a phone sharing a file via BT).

I am not familiar with bt (le), but messing with puck.js (and reading a lot of resources and asking -noob- questions) could change this.

The main interface with the puck is sending commands to the js interpreter on the puck and receive ouput back. This is done in a chrome brower on a device with bt (le).

Can this be done simultainious with the puck requesting webpages and posting sensordata via a bluetooth internet gateway (bt theter) on the same phone I use to send commands the puck?

And can it be done the same time when the puck has open sockets listening to the internet (with IPv6 stack)?

Also curious if a library will be available to send a file / data from the puck over bluetooth (le) to an android phone without any custom apps.

So for my orchard application (other post) I could send the data to my android phone automaticly as an file when my phone is near, or could use the http proxy to send it through my phone to a custom Internetserver collecting the data, or use MQTT on IPv6 to send it to a general MQTT webservice?

And is it possible to use the battery friendly http proxy way to post it to a MQTT dashboard service?

Thanks Gordon, for your rules of thumb about ram usage and power/timing. I rather lower the sample rate than adding physical memory for more logging space. 30 days data retention is good enough for me.

The sleep modes I read in the datasheet (system on/off, ram retention yes/no) triggered a question. How time conscious is the puck.js if it is asleep most of the time?

I want to beacon some light/temp stats, and some real date/time makes sense. The Nordic chip has a RTC, but have not figured out yet how to use the power save mode friendly TICK event, and how power consuming this RTC implementation will be.

So every couple of minutes sample temp/light, beacon some stats, a quick listen (no ladder climbing push button activity ;-) if a known BT host is present for downloading logging data and free up the ram for another month of sampling.

If a user adds some hardware, is it costly to make a resized puck housing (base/sleeve) for a single (outdoor proof) prototype? If a 3D printing service or nearby fablab is used, what materials should be used?

Maybe a batch casted XL silicone sleeves could be made/sold where you cut off some silicone from the bottom yourself to seal your homebrew stacked puck.

Actions