gnz

Member since Mar 2014 • Last active Apr 2017
  • 5 conversations
  • 58 comments

I'm kind of new around, wanna go for a coffee?

Most recent activity

• in Interfacing

before I go off trying to do my own thing

yep, I'd advice against building it yourself unless you have a lot of extra time in your hands. Not sure what's your project exactly, but unless your goal is really to build a packet forwarder in node.js, then go with lora-server (or TTN, or a loriot.io community account) as your backend.

Unless -of course- you're trying to build an espruino-powered lorawan gateway :)

• in Interfacing

Hey @Gordon, in general, TTN shouldn't differ much (at all?) from any other LoRaWAN network. I haven't tested myself, but there are a bunch of guys in our local community that have sensors that they interchangeably switch from network to network without issues.

If you wanna setup a local test environment to isolate from TTN and any other provider, I'd recommend this backend: https://github.com/brocaar/loraserver It's well documented and I know others have tried it successfully. About the concentrator, I guess you have it figured it by now, but you could use TTN install scripts (https://github.com/ttn-zh/ic880a-gateway­/wiki) and just change the backend server to forward to on the local_conf.json

The biggest problems you will face with downlink (from backend to espruino) are related to time sync, the receive window is rather small, and it's a source of constant issues on some MCUs.

Let me know if I can give you a hand.

Cheers
    Gonzalo

EDIT: Actually, I DID test switching networks now that I remember, and it worked without having to make changes to my node. Just provision the keys on the new network and off you go.

• in General

Amazing job you're doing, @Gordon! Congrats!

• started
    • 5 comments
  • in Puck.js

Sweeeeet!!

• in Puck.js

Is there already guidance on how to put the puck.js in deep sleep and wake up on intervals? Is it as simple as using the NRF.sleep()?

• in Interfacing

Yes, that behavior is the LoRaWAN part. Class A devices (the only ones really available on the market right now) behave that way: they open receive windows after sending, and they won't receive at any other point. Class C devices are always listening and could receive downlink with an onMessage callback, but there's afaik none available right now, and no network support either.

• in Interfacing

In that case, check out this project: https://github.com/brocaar/loraserver
    The guy behind it works very closely with TTN anyway, so it should be trivial to swap the two if you ever want to.

• in Interfacing

Awesome stuff @Gordon! I will test it with TheThingsNetwork and see if I can extend a bit!

About "some instructions for setting up your own LoRaWAN", there's plenty on the TTN website, here's just one I wrote, but there are many others available on the TTN website/forum :)

Actions