GPS recorder with GPS setup

Posted on
  • Hi. I have been using GPS recorder for a few weeks and it is working great. A few days ago I started playing with GPS setup so I can improve the battery use. The problem is that it is no clear how this two applications work together. The thing is that if I set up an update interval of 60 seconds in GPS setup, do I have to adjust the same interval in GPS recorder? what happens if these intervals are different? What I am expecting is that if the interval in GPS setup is bigger than in the recorder, the recorder will get repeated locations. Is that correct?

• Right now the GPS recorder's Period is the number of GPS reports it waits for before writing data away (you can tell when it gets a GPS report because the icon animates each time it gets one).

With the GPS setup, if you set the interval of 60 seconds I believe that means you only get a fix every 60 seconds, so having a GPS record interval of 1 will mean it records every GPS fix (so it's recording every 60 seconds).

It's a bit confusing and it's something we were thinking of maybe changing - but if we did change it, you wouldn't get repeated locations. It'd just be a location every X seconds or whenever one came from GPS, whichever was slower.

• Thanks for the response.

The is something I still do not understand. Here is my configuration: I have the GPS recorder with a time period of 30. I have the GPS setup in SuperE power mode and an update interval of 30 seconds. If I understood well your explanation, I should get a GPS fix every 30 seconds. If GPS recorder, saves one of 30 fixes, that would mean a record every 900 seconds. But it is not working like that, it is saving fixes much faster. Does it mean these settings in GPS setup (update and search times) only work for PSMOO mode?

• All I can think is the GPS is actually sending out several packets when it's on, rather than just one.

I have now updated the GPS recorder, so if you install version 0.18 from the development repo it should now work on absolute time https://espruino.github.io/BangleApps/

So setting both to 30 sec should now yield a recording every 30 seconds!

• I have the GPS setup in SuperE power mode and an update interval of 30
    seconds.

Thats not how it works. Super-E gives the GPS full control over when it gets updates and there is no control of the frequency of fixes apart from changing the baud rate. But the GPS effectively stays on all the time and sends a fix every 1 second. This should work fine with GPS Recorder.

The interval time control only applies when using PSMOO mode. It would clash with the the way GPS recorder works as GPS recorder assumed that a fix comes every second and then counts then number of fixes recieved and then logs the next one.

Just spotted that @Gordon has done a change to GPS recorder.

• The interval time control only applies when using PSMOO mode

Thats what I was missing. I think now I understand how it works. Tomorrow I will test the new GPS recorder version in PSMOO mode.

Thank you very much for the help.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

GPS recorder with GPS setup

Posted by Avatar for Pablo @Pablo

Actions