Screen Brightness Outdoors

Posted on
  • I found the screen brightness setting for the watch (Settings > LCD > LCD Brightness) and the maximum value is 1. I found that this is not bright enough when I use the watch outdoors. Today it's cloudy and grey out and I could barely read the watch. There is also a lot of glare.

Any suggestions to make the content of the watch easier to read outdoors?

Thanks

• Hi,

I'm afraid there's no way to get the backlight itself brighter than it currently is when LCD Brightness = 1.

However there is a 'screen card' in the watch with the rounded corners in it, and that is slightly tinted so you could potentially remove that and marginally increase the brightness.

I also wonder whether having a different colour scheme might help you - some watch faces are black on a bright colour, so you could give that a try. There's nothing in the firmware yet that allows you to globally change the colour scheme for all apps at once though.

• Thanks. I was trying the GPS Info. The font is quite small and my eyes are not what they used to be. I am not keen on disassembling the watch (yet).

• Ahh, ok - yes, GPS Info definitely wasn't made with outside readability in mind!

Which specific information did you want? We could easily make an app that would show it, or there may be one already - for instance the speedo app (https://banglejs.com/apps/#speedo) has a nice big font

• I took my watch outside to get a GPS fix. I used that app to see how it was going. I gave up because I couldn’t read the screen. Any suggestions for other GPS app that would be easy to read outside ?

• Speedo - mentioned above - would be a good start then: https://banglejs.com/apps/#speedo

It shows 'searching for GPS' in small text while it's waiting for a lock, but then some big numbers for speed when it has one, so it should be pretty obvious.

• Also if you're having trouble getting a lock it's worth installing AGPS via the app loader - it'll give the GPS receiver some hints that let it get a lock much more quickly.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Screen Brightness Outdoors

Posted by Avatar for eme43sap @eme43sap

Actions