adding NFC to Bangle.js

Posted on
  • So I have seen that there is no NFC in the Bangle,js itself and nothing on the software side that would make adding one easy.
    That said I wondered if anyone had tried adding just a (non-powered) NFC chip to the inside/outside of the bangle (or even as part of the strap)?
    I was thinking something simpler to what people do to mod the old Casio watches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTN5aQK­Kg0

).
    They use a rather cheep sticker NFC chip here (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P­UELZMS/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&t­ag=techsas05-21&creative=6738&linkCode=a­s2&creativeASIN=B00PUELZMS&linkId=b1d2d4­ad23ad25880d66e885aa5391a2).

I am not sure you could/should use them for contactless payment but still could be a nice add one for the price?
    What do people think? worth doing adding? and where to put it if I do?

• It could be worth a try!

The obvious place would have been to slip it behind the LCD screen, but the LCD has a metal cover on the rear so I don't think it would work.

You may however be able to get a small NFC sticker and put it between the LCD and the front of the watch (in the area left where the LCD is off-centre)?

• Oww are you talking about wrapping the antenna around the black bit of plastic sitting between the glass and the LCD? That could look really cool and likely get a good signal.

I have a feeling this project will just need a bit of trile and error to find what works best. that said they are cheap so good project to solve in that way :-)
    Let you guests know how it goes

• Well, hopefully if you can get a small enough NFC sticker there won't be a need to wrap it, but we'll have to see.

If the mask (that 'rounds' off the corners) gets in the way there's no actual need for it - you can just pull it off and get an extra bit of screen real estate (but then you get to see some of the stuff inside!)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

adding NFC to Bangle.js

Posted by Avatar for DrBard @DrBard

Actions