welcome screen will not go away

Posted on
  • I thought I posted this but it does not show up, so retrying.

Suddenly (maybe after a reset setttings) my bangle started to show the welcome app.
    Ending it with BTN2 resulted in what looked like a reboot and the welcome app reappeared.
    This happened over and over again.
    Reboot with BTN1 + BTN2 did not change things.
    I noticed a newer version of the app but updating it did not make the issue go away.
    In the end I "fixed" it by completely removing the app.
    Not sure what the actual issue was but wanted to report it anyway.

• Fri 2020.04.24

'but wanted to report it anyway'

Let's start with effective reporting @FransM, what is the current flashed version?
    Please post the results of process.env and process.memory()

'I noticed a newer version of the app but updating it'

Which app, by name, link and what version?

'Suddenly (maybe after a reset setttings)'

Breifly describe what was being done just before this 'maybe' event.

• @Robin
    Not sure how to retrieve that process info.

The app this whole issue is about is the welcome app. Originally it was the one that I got when I received the watch as part of the kickstarter campaign. I tried upgrading to 0.08 but that version still had the issue

I'n not fully sure how I ended up here. I updated the settings app and the default launcher.
    Note that I updated a few apps after each other and also added the analog clock app.

Anyway, after further investigation I noticed that the settings app does not save its settings. I suspect this is related.
    I can change settings (e.g. time offset in locale) but as soon as I leave settings they are gone.

In the app store about page I went to Install default apps. That did not work the first time (got an error message that it could not uninstall an app, but the second time it worked. Things are now fully functional again.

• Sat 2020.04.25

'Things are now fully functional again'

Glad a solution was found.

'Not sure how to retrieve that process info'

Under the assumption the watch screen was preventing progress, the thought was to use the WebIDE to just connect and issue commands. The two from #2 post could be entered on the console command line to show if communications between the PC and Bangle were occurring. It also would provide detail on memory usage, which seems to be a culprit, too many installed widgets, and which Espruino version is flashed.

Outlined in:

Writing an effective forum post

• @FransM thanks for letting me know. Not being able to change the settings actually sounds a lot like an issue that was fixed a few weeks ago in the actual watch firmware - the on-watch filesystem could get corrupted in a way that didn't allow a file to be modified once saved (in this case, settings). It's rare that it happens, but there is a chance it'll happen to you again with the current watch firmware.

If you update the firmware now (either to 'cutting edge' or just the default 2v05 release): https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#firmw­are-updates

Then hopefully it'll be sorted and won't happen again.

• @Gordon Thanks for your reply. I just upgraded to 2v05 without problems.
    Only remark is that I had to do it from the phone whereas normally all the bangle stuff I do from my ubuntu system. (actually I would have expected to be able to update from the app store).
    Anyway: issue resolved :-)

• Thanks - yes, you can update from the Web IDE via Ubuntu (and maybe that could be added to the App Loader too) but I've had a few people report problems with it so I generally don't recommend it.

Also, the phone usually ends up being about twice as fast, so either way it's probably the best thing to use.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

welcome screen will not go away

Posted by Avatar for FransM @FransM

Actions