WiFi connect failed: FAIL

Posted on
  • Hi, just received my Pixl.js and Espruino Wifi boards.

• Pixl.js board working great.
    • Wifi board not working great.

1) when the sample wifi code (https://www.espruino.com/WiFi#connecting­-to-an-ap) is run, I get this:

____                 _
    |  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___
    |  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |
    |____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|
             |_| espruino.com
     2v04 (c) 2019 G.Williams

Connection error: WiFi connect failed: FAIL

Wifi name and password correct.
    Original firmware was v1.91, I updated to latest firmware (v2.04) successfully, as seen in the output above, but still had the error.

2) Espruino Wifi board runs really hot.

Seems much hotter than other boards.
    (I've used Pico and the Original since the Kickstarter in 2014).
    Heat seems to be coming from the STM not the ESP8266.

David

• Thr 2019.10.31

Hello @davem and thank you for supporting Espruino with official supported devices.

Providing the link is an excellent idea, keeping us all on the same page.

While I wont be the individual to resolve an adjustment, lets collect a bit of information for others reading on this unusual situation.

'Espruino Wifi runs really hot'

Shouldn't be the case.

I haven't heard of a bad production board yet, but the law of averages implies there might be a rogue one out there.

Lets look into how the board is powered. Describe the supply and connection pin detail please. Are there any peripheral devices attached, and how are they connected? The possibility of a battery supply and the use of a USB cable at the same time?

Any chance an image could be included here?

'1) when the sample wifi code (https://www.espruino.com/WiFi#connecting­-to-an-ap) is run, I get this:'

What are the results of running non-WiFi code (say, display a counter inside a loop) on the WiFI immediately after connecting the WebIDE? Does the device run without error? What is the perceived temperature of the chip then?

Would you mind posting the results of process.env and process.memory() please. To confirm accurate flash and Espruino running. Might help with our perception of the heat issue with and without WiFi code running.

Has a close inspection of the pad solder points been done to see if there is a solder splash short? Again, an image would assist if one is able to get the focus right. I know that may be tough though.

• 'Espruino Wifi runs really hot'

Espruino WiFi boards do run warm when WiFi is powered on, but it should be the ESP8266 (which draws ~150mA) that gets hot rather than the STM32. Are you sure it's the STM32 getting hot?

However, the fact that the board is communicating just fine with the WiFi module would imply that even if something is odd, it's not the issue here.

What is WiFi network you're trying to connect to? Are you sure it's 2.4GHz WiFi and not a 5GHz-only wifi, and what form of encryption are you using (WPA2/etc?).

Perhaps you could try creating a mobile hot spot with your phone and seeing if you can connect to that?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

WiFi connect failed: FAIL

Posted by Avatar for davem @davem

Actions