RAK5010 NB-IoT Tracker

Posted on
  • Support for the new device in subject is planned?

https://store.rakwireless.com/products/r­ak5010-nb-iot-tracker

• Not at the moment, no. But maybe if you ask RAK they might consider supporting a port of Espruino for it :)

• Hi @Gordon,

Any news regarding the official support of the RAK5010 please?

At the moment the Arduino support is not full and I would be pleased to give Espruino a try.

RAK told me you might release it soon: https://forum.rakwireless.com/t/native-e­spruino-support/1030/7

• Yes - I had a chat with RAK in December and I will be adding support - and I have some devices sitting here. I'm just waiting for things to calm down so I can do the port :)

• Great, thank you for your hard work, I guess having many devices waiting to be ported sounds like a success for Espruino :)

• Hi @Gordon, any update regarding the RAK5010 please?
    Can't wait to use Espruino!

• Just a naive question: why not choosing an Ai-Thinker A9G-based development board rather than the RAK5010, as it is so much cheaper ($7-$8) and has basically the same specs?

Is it because the RAK5010 development board is equipped with a nRF52 thus making the port easier? (Actually this makes a lot of sense.)

There are ports of Micropython to the A9G development board (the manufacturer official one and an advanced port which is well maintained), so it might be worth investing this board as an alternative...

• Thanks @sebi for introducing this cheap board, unfortunately I'm looking for LTE-M / NB-IOT bands as GPRS will be gradually disabled in the coming years.

Also, having a chip that handles TLS & MQTT protocols is very important when you track valuable assets.

I agree RAK is expensive... probably because there is no cheaper alternative with a Quectel BG96.

• Hi! I'm afraid I'm still a bit too busy to find time to get the port done, but I'd hope that it would be finished in the next month or so.

• Thank you @Gordon for the update!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

RAK5010 NB-IoT Tracker

Posted by Avatar for peruperu @peruperu

Actions