Tutorial / "blog" sites for makers / hackers

Posted on
  • Kind of off-topic, but I'm curious about other opinions about various hardware oriented tutorial / blog-ish sites. The question partially triggered by Gordon's Espruino project write up announcement.
    My thoughts just browsing content on the sites:
    Instructables: no visible post date, but you can read the entire thing without registering or signing up. At first glance it's only for completed projects. Clean layout.
    Hackaday IO: The UI is not so clean, but I kind of like it. Other than the black theme (I know, I'm a freak :) )
    Hackster IO: Insists on signing up to read content freely created by other people. Ofc, I can open in a private window, but that means if I find something interesting, it's not in my history. And smells like Medium...

Your thoughts? Do you know any other worth mentioning? Editing experience?

• Interesting about Hackster's sign up policy. I wasn't aware of that. Hackster definitely feels like the most 'aggressive' site, but that does mean they seem to actively publicise posts quite well.

Personally I haven't seen much interest come from Hackaday.io, but often they'll feature projects in Hackaday itself which gets you a load of readers. It feels to me like it's the best place for in-progress projects though?

Instructables is older and feels like they're not trying to grab more users, but there are loads of readers and I've found I get quite a few views from projects I post there. It's also a much wider range of readers - you get all kinds of making (not just electronics) which is really neat.

There's also https://www.electromaker.io/ which seems a bit newer - I'm not too sure about them, I haven't heard too much.

I'd be interested in any other things that are out there as well :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Tutorial / "blog" sites for makers / hackers

Posted by Avatar for AkosLukacs @AkosLukacs

Actions