Puck.js whitelisting failure

Posted on
  • Hello,

I've been unsuccessfully trying to whitelist connections to my Puck.js (firmware 2.01) the last few weeks, so I figured it was time to throw a lifeline in hopes someone can help identify what I am doing wrong. I've tried with my Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, and Windows Surface Pro using the following code snippet as a guide:

NRF.on('connect',function(addr) {
      if (addr!="69:2d:94:d0:9d:97 public")
        NRF.disconnect();
    });

I've double checked the MAC addresses several times, and have tried string combinations of just the mac address, and both "public" and "random" extensions as described here:(https://www.espruino.com/Puck.js+Securit­y).

The only result I get is refusal of all connections to Puck.js.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• There was a post here last week where someone hit something that might be similar.

You could try:

devices = [];
    NRF.on('connect',function(addr) {
      devices.push(addr);
    });
    // now connect a few times and see what's in 'devices' using the left-hand side

On some Android phones there's a 'security feature' which basically randomises the Mac address every time the device connects, which means that the whitelisting is basically useless. It's possible it's the problem - but the above code might help.

Your other option is to install a 'cutting edge' Espruino firmware and enable 'passkey' pairing: http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­330007/#14600298

Because it's not in the 2v01 firmware it's not documented in that Security page yet, but it might do what you need?

• Gordon,

Your post was extremely helpful in debugging my random MAC address issue. I will flash the latest Beta firmware and enable passkey pairing.

Thanks again!

• No problem - glad it helped!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Puck.js whitelisting failure

Posted by Avatar for user97688 @user97688