LED visibility in sunlight - Puck.js

Posted on
  • Hi

Just ordered my puck.js and awaiting keenly for delivery!

Does anyone have any experiences on the visibility of the Puck.js LEDs in sunlight with the white cover on? My proposed usage is for the Puck.js to be used as an outdoor controller to start / stop a remote data acquisition device via its button. This remote device then sends back status updates (via MQTT) to the Puck.js and this status will then be shown via the LEDs on the Puck.js. Presumably, I can turn on all three of the LEDs to amplify the brightness and create a composite RGB colour?

• I can turn on all three of the LEDs to amplify the brightness and create a composite RGB colour?

Yes, absolutely! There are 3 discrete LEDs so the colour mixing isn't perfect, but you will get more brightness. I'd also make sure you get up to date firmware as we found a way to boost the LED brightness.

The LEDs are quite bright, but in direct sunlight you might have to peer at it a bit with the white case.

There is a dark cover (which I think you ordered?) which will improve matters quite a lot in bright sunlight so I'd definitely give that a try. I tried it here under a bright spotlight and the light was very obvious.

• Brilliant - cheers! (yes, I did order the additional dark cover in anticipation of this helping with LED visibility)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

LED visibility in sunlight - Puck.js

Posted by Avatar for d-fens @d-fens

Actions