Newbie Espruino Wifi createServer Problem?

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • LOW_MEMORY implies that it's been forced to garbage collect, which is quite unusual - usually it can do it on idle where it doesn't affect anything. Looking at the code I'm struggling to see how it could lose UART data that way though - unless you're printing a load of stuff to USB at the same time?

Do you think you'd be able to narrow this down to some very small program that I could run on an Espruino WiFi that'd reproduce it? Ideally with no usage of neopixels/etc.

• Hi Gorden,

When you say "printing to USB" would "console.log" be included? Not that I'm printing much, just error messages.

Is there a maximum length on MQTT topic and message lengths? Again, they don't strike me as too long but I could be over doing it. Is it OK to put stringified JSON in an MQTT message on Espruino? I'm not doing it at the moment, but am thinking of doing so.

Also, I was wondering about using "tinyMQTT". Is there any advantage in using this over the native "mqtt"? I notice in the docs that this does have a "127 byte publishing length limit" though. Is this topic and/or message?

I'll keep exploring. It's not causing me major problems. Currently my Espruino has been up for 21 hours, processed 841 packets and only had 6 bad packets. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it though!

Sean

• When you say "printing to USB" would "console.log" be included? Not that I'm printing much, just error messages.

Yes, it would - but if you're only printing errors then the error has already happened when it's printing, so that won't be it :)

Is there a maximum length on MQTT topic and message lengths?

I could be wrong, but maybe 126 chars I think? I doubt you'd be hitting it.

Is it OK to put stringified JSON in an MQTT message on Espruino?

Yes, totally - that should be fine.

Also, I was wondering about using "tinyMQTT". Is there any advantage in using this over the native "mqtt"? I notice in the docs that this does have a "127 byte publishing length limit" though. Is this topic and/or message?

I'm not sure about the limit - it could be both. I think tinyMQTT was started because some people wanted something that would fit inside the ESP8266 when the port was very limited, but it could be worth a try. If it does work correctly it'd narrow the problem down a lot!

I'll keep exploring. It's not causing me major problems. Currently my Espruino has been up for 21 hours, processed 841 packets and only had 6 bad packets. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it though!

Ok, that's not so bad - and it recovers ok? I'd assumed it stayed totally broken when you got the error.

The latest travis builds (http://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis/­master/) now check specifically for a UART overflow - so if you get a chance that could be interesting I guess, as it'd tell you if data was getting lost at a lower level or not.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Newbie Espruino Wifi createServer Problem?

Posted by Avatar for seanclark @seanclark

Actions