Next espruino board ideas

Posted on
  • Hi,
    I was looking at my parts bin and found two components: an audio jack and a usb port. That got me thinking wow i wish the espruino had a usb host port and an audio jack. It would be awesome! You would be able to play sound files off the micro sd with the DAC and also connect devices like usb sticks. What do you think? I also took some concept pictures.
    (don't worry this is a bricked espruino it doesnt work anyway)

4 Attachments

• IMG_6590.JPG
    • IMG_6591.JPG
    • IMG_6592.JPG
    • IMG_6593.JPG
  • Thanks for the suggestion! USB host is something that's probably a bit too difficult - while the F4-based Espruino boards are capable of it (but not at the same time as 'normal' USB), there's quite a lot of software work needed to make it work properly.

If someone were willing to do that software work, with Espruino WiFi you could just get one of those 'USB host' adaptors and plug it in, and electrically I think all the hardware would 'just work'.

Does the audio jack actually fit in the holes around there on the back of the board? Those holes are just for the prototype area so you could probably wire it in pretty easily - as you say, for some tasks being able to get audio out easily would be really cool.

I wonder how many people would use it, but we could potentially come up with a 'shim' design for the Pico (http://www.espruino.com/Shims) that had the SD card, battery charger, and an audio jack on it?

• Yes, the audio jack fits in the prototype area(although I also stole the gnd bat and 3.3v holes)!
    It's good to hear the audio jack might be possible.

I know my suggestions might not be featured, but will there be additional boards coming out(or upgrades of original ones)?

• Oh, I think a grove connector will be very handy. I don't think it will be difficult to implement, either.

• I did actually have a design for one of those Shims that included a Grove connector (I've got a bunch here that I got made) but I had some really weird issues with I2C on it - so most things would work, except the I2C display - and I never managed to figure out why.

I do have plans for another board - most likely a Bluetooth LE board about the same size as the Pico. It'll be a few months off though - probably the most sensible way to get it made in high enough volumes is to do a KickStarter again, but we're expecting a baby in a few months' time and my wife would be very unimpressed if I was trying to sort out a KickStarter with a new child :)

I think things like the headphone jack wouldn't be popular enough to stick on the board itself, but I think a 'breakout' board could be a good idea.

• Fits Pico, WiFi, and maybe the new board too
    • Has a LiPo battery charger and socket on it
    • micro SD card
    • Seeed Grove connector(s)
    • Headphone jack
    • High power outputs?

If it were an 'assemble yourself' job then it'd be nice and easy for me to do, but I think the surface mount parts would make it difficult for most people - which means I'd need to make several hundred boards up.

• Your plans for the new board is really cool, I guarantee it will be very successful!
    Congrats on your baby also, keep up the awesome work!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Next espruino board ideas

Posted by Avatar for user73202 @user73202

Actions