Windows 8.1 pairing

Posted on
  • I have been trying for weeks to get Puck-js to pair to a surface 3 with Windows 8.1 , and am giving up. I am writing a C# code to talk to puck-js and the code won't see the tag unless it was not paired. I need my web IDE to work too. Web IDE (all version through the website and downloaded) does not show any devices after selecting Web Bluetooth, probably because none was not paired. When I start my Bluetooth, I see the puck.js tags but when I try to pair I get "Try again, and make sure your device is discoverable". I tried a laptop connection too (which has 8.1) and it generated the same message. I tried another tablet with win 10 and it works fine (pairs and all). I am starting to think that puck-js is not really compatible with 8.1. I also downloaded the ST driver as indicated on the website but it did not help. What am I missing?

• Hi,

Web IDE (all version through the website and downloaded) does not show any devices after selecting Web Bluetooth

I'm pretty sure the downloaded Native Web IDE shouldn't offer you Web Bluetooth as an option at all - make sure you're using this one: http://www.espruino.com/Web+IDE#as-a-nat­ive-application

I also downloaded the ST driver

That's only needed for STM32-based devices connected via USB

I get "Try again, and make sure your device is discoverable"

Are you sure Puck.js is not still connected to some other device? Puck.js can only connect to one computer at a time.

Also, have you updated Puck.js's firmware? Newer firmwares advertise more often so are more reliable to connect to. http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js#firmware­-updates

I am starting to think that puck-js is not really compatible with 8.1

It is - however it's possible that your PC's built in bluetooth adaptor or driver doesn't correctly support Bluetooth LE devices. Support seems to have been a bit flakey until recently.

I am writing a C# code

You could try using this as a base: https://github.com/espruino/winnus

It's C++, but should translate quite easily to C#

It's what I use for the Native Web IDE, which should definitely work (users have had it working fine with Windows 8.1)

• Thanks a lot. I will try all the mentioned suggestions and come back to you today or tomorrow latest.

• The pairing succeeded after the firmware update. I assumed that since I just bought the devices, they would be up to date, but realize now that they might have been in stock for a while. I have not succeeded in getting the link running in c++, possibly because of VS environment issues, but working on it. Thank you for you help Gordon! Great support

• Thanks, no problem! Yes, unfortunately the devices ship with firmware that's quite old - even if I were to manually upgrade every device here before shipping it out, my distributors wouldn't be able to.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Windows 8.1 pairing

Posted by Avatar for user77324 @user77324

Actions