Web IDE alternative | NodeMCU

Posted on
  • Hello, I am looking for some help with Espruino on NodeMCU.
    I was using Espruino Web IDE (Chrome app) until now. It's so unstable. It crashed every time I was writing some "longer code". Somehow, NodeMCU was magically disconnected. Sometimes it was disconnected immediately after I connected it to PC. I do not want to use this Web IDE if I don't have to.

Windows 10 - x64
    NodeMCU ver. 0.1, flashed Espruino

For daily programming I am using Sublime Text 3.

Here is the question: *** Is there any method to avoid using Espruino Web IDE? ***
    Thank you for any answer.

Sorry for my English :)

• Very strange to hear that the WebIDE is causing you issues, in my expericnes its very reliable. However if you wish to, you can use the Espruino NPM Module and set it to watch a file, then you can use Sublime Text to exit a local JS file and every time you save it, it will be sent to the Espruino.

You could also try to use the WebIDE as a native windows program, here's where to get it.

• Thank you so much for fast reply! I will try ASAP and write back.

• I am back. On second it looked like there's mistake on FW (Espruino) side. So I tried flash FW based on eLua. Still couldn't work properly with that.
    -> Back to Espruino
    • It looks like WebIDE as native program isn't better choice at all.
    • npm module works well, but I never connect to my NodeMCU, every time some error. Same as WebIDE, but it 'sometimes' do something.
    What am I doing wrong?

P.S. tbh I don't wanna use Arduino, cause uploading time.

Thanks for any help.

• Try another USB port. It might be that the port your using can't supply enough power and the chip is browning out.

• Thanks for reply. I tried next 2 USB ports, but without changes. Maybe there is no problem with ESP but with my computer. I will try repeat process with Linux.

• Same thing for me. I never got a good connection (or a connection at all) with the IDE or the Espruino command line tool. However, using a plain terminal always works for me (on Linux: screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 8N1).

• Good to hear. Yesterday, I installed Linux, so I will try. Thank you for reply.

• ...did you ever verify the quality of mechanical/electrical connection of your USB cable / connectors? ...moving things physically while uploading - can even just be typing - bothers bad / low-quality connections. Also the way code is written can impact the upload process... any upload process, because Espruino executes JavaScript - or you do other (crazy) things on you Win box - it is not just a source / file / byte transfer - and when something is done that keeps Espruino for too long too busy - or you do other (crazy) things on you Win box -upload / communication timing between uploader and Espruino may fall apart... Also what else in regard to 'electro smog' is going on in your environment can have an impact.

...and after all, non-Gordon boards are of various reliability...

PS: forgot to mention that Espruino Web IDE has a Settings - Communication - Throttle Send that could help you...

• Hi,
    I have a similar (or maybe the same) problem. Using the chrome plugin under Linux I cannot connect to the device. Console shows:

>>> Connecting...
    ForceThrottle option is set - set Slow Write = true
    [object Object]
    Connected [object Object]
    ERROR: RECEIVE ERROR: {"connectionId":1,"error":"device_lost"}­
    Disconnect callback...
    WARNING: [notify_warn] Disconnected
    >>> Disconnected
    ERROR: executeExpression called when not connected!

Same happens without throttling. If I just use the ESPTool, I can connect without any problems (115200 baud as well) and execute code on it.

Is there maybe at least a way to get more information about what causes the "device_lost"?

BR

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Web IDE alternative | NodeMCU

Posted by Avatar for JayJay @JayJay

Actions