Can I add esp8266 to the original Espruino?

Posted on
  • I backed Espruino a long time ago on kickstarter and had forgot that I had them. They are the first big version with bluetooth adapters. I have not soldered any of the bluetooth adapters on the Espruino and noticed that some of the ESP modules had the same "pin-spacings" as the original bluetooth adapters.

Is it possible to solder a ESP module directly to the Espruino? if so are there any guides of where to solder and how to enable in the software?

• That's actually a really good point. I haven't seen any guides on it though.

I just checked with the ESP12 module, but it doesn't look like it has the right spacings - do you have an link to the one you saw?

If someone has done a HC-05 style wifi module (which would be a great idea) then I think you really could just put it on. The software should be pretty much exactly as on http://www.espruino.com/ESP8266 (with the addition of a USB.setConsole(1) command to ensure the console doesn't interfere with the Wifi connection)

The only gotcha is that the original Espruino's power supply isn't designed to deliver the amounts of power that the Wifi uses - so you'd probably have to solder on a voltage regulator as well (at least to keep it reliable). Even so, it'd be a really tidy little package.

• Ok, I think I tested with esp-07

• Hmm, that one seems to be 16mm wide, which still looks a bit too wide to fit. Maybe it's a different one?

ESP04 looks possible, but it has no antenna.

To be honest you could just use one of the through-hole ESP01 boards and solder it into the 0.1" holes by the side of the proto area. All you have to do is connect 4 wires (but again, you'd almost certainly need to add a 3.3v regulator)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Can I add esp8266 to the original Espruino?

Posted by Avatar for user70842 @user70842

Actions