Puck.js

Posted on
  • This is for anything related to the Puck.js Bluetooth Beacon that was just launched on KickStarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gfw­/puckjs-the-ground-breaking-bluetooth-be­acon

• Is that "dot" a clone of Puck.js? http://doteverything.co/

• I don't think so... It sounds like it's a pretty standard Bluetooth beacon, albeit with RGB LEDs.

Minewtech and others have been knocking stuff like that out of years - Dot's real selling point appears to be their app (as it looks like there is nothing clever in the beacon itself).

They show it next to a light, but as far as I can tell that's a little misleading. The app on your phone will detect proximity to the beacon, and will then contact IFTTT (or something similar) which will then contact your expensive net-connected light-bulb and turn it on.

I'd have to wait until they're made, but my guess is the LED and proximity are exposed in totally standard ways - in which case you could make Puck.js pretend to be a dot and then use their app... Or maybe more interesting you could make it do things like pretend to be a dot, but only when a door is open.

• @Gordon, just curious about something you mentioned in your last KS update. What was the reasoning for the supplier doubling the cost for the casings?

• I honestly don't know, as I'm hearing this through Seeed. I think perhaps the supplier had accidentally under-quoted the first time - we've moved to someone else now though.

What it could be is you need to make moulds in different parts that will separate to release the final part. As I understand it we're using a 3 or 4 part mould at the moment, and it's possible that they originally thought they could use just 2 parts and then realised they couldn't.

... so that would have meant much more machining, so more cost. It was the cost of making the moulds that doubled - from $3000 to $5700. The actual per-device cost is still around $0.3, but given I'm only doing 4500 of them for the KickStarter the cost of making the moulds kind of dwarfs the rest of the case's cost!

• Web bluetooth now in mainline Chrome.

• It's been there for a long time already - the only difference is now you don't have to enable it with chrome://flags (if whatever site has an Origin Trial token).

The gotcha is that the tokens run out every few months, so you need to keep updating your website (every webpage - it's not enough to have it in the one JS file that uses Web Bluetooth).

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Puck.js

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions