A point in the right direction

Posted on
  • Hello everyone , I wanted to use the espruino pico for a project but i am not sure if it is capable of all my needs . I have little to no knowledge in these types of applications but i do have quite an extensive knowledge in javascript and other programming languages. My projects require the use of a Pico , Gps Module and Wifi module, i wish to connect these modules on one board but i am not sure if that will be possible. Any help is appreciated also any guides or references or books for a beginner i could use ?

• Hi and welcome to the Espruino side of things :) the Espruino is most definitely well suited for your project. For wifi have a look at:http://www.espruino.com/ESP8266
    And for gps have a look at: http://www.espruino.com/GPS

• Hi and welcome to the Espruino side of things :) - What a great welcome... worth to repeat!

Extensive Javascript knowledge calls for Espruino not just for the programming of the application logic but also to talk to any connected hardware. Espruino's comprehensive implementation of low level hardware access through Javascript and the vast module library provides you easy control on your Javascript home turf. Many - if not all - who did other things too - such as Arduino - always are glad to 'come back for a home game' in Javascript, and call it 'vaccation' vs. (heck of) work.

Personally, a few years ago, I returned to micro controller Arduino and a-like and C / AVR after lots of lots of much older stuff. But when I came across Espruino - at that time the standard board was 1V3 and software was 1V64 - I switched in less than a blink of an eye. It was not even worth to spend a thought... even though I had invested quite some money and even more so time. I hope you read between the lines: no regret what s0 ever.

I assume that you did a lot of Javascript in the Browser and may be some server side - node.js or Rhino or a like. Good SW practice there comes in handy with Espruino as well. I slight restructuring of approaches though are needed because of the very limited (memory and cycle) resources... But you will love the additional challenge: the challange to do it with less and even better - and - without abandoning good SW practices.

Book? ...the reference site, modules and their doc, and online tutorials on the site...
    Guides? ...the forum... find the subject you are looking for, then look at the contributing members and what they started with - their first (in time and last in list) comments and conversations, and vert quickly, you get comfortabley going with advanced things. Getting started and simple things are that simple that looking at the get started video(s) put you areaeady in second gear. The free Web IDE give you all what you need from a setup point of view.

If you get stuck, something is not adding up (from your point of view - sorry, had to add this), punch holes in the forum, and ou will get answers - no empty promise. And if your thrown stone makes the pigs squeek, you hit a nerv and already contributed to the enhancement of Espruino. All members are quite responsive, and even @Gordon as the creator and core expander of Espruino finds time to chip in!

PS: I did some extensive GPS work... started with the available module and extended to more sentences. I did also some Wifi... CC3000 - and am in transition to today's favorite: ESP8266.

• GPS and WiFi at the same time should be no problem on the Pico (or original Espruino) - Most GPS connects via serial, while WiFi uses either SPI or Serial. Since the Pico has 2 serials, you're good to go on that front.

While the same is possible on an Arduino-type board with two serials (like mega, m1284p or t1634), I find working with network-aware stuff on Arduino to be very unpleasant, as you're working at two very different levels of abstraction. For example, consider working with strings on Arduino - do you use Strings and fragment your ram or c strings and deal with fixed size buffers and remember to check array bounds obsessively? On Espruino, strings work pretty much like a sane person would expect them to, and how they do in most civilized languages

• Hi, thanks for posting up!

As others have said, GPS and WiFi should be no problem at all - it's something Espruino will be very good at. I'd recommend you use the ESP8266 for WiFi at the moment, and you'll find that basically all GPS devices work exactly the same (via NMEA) - although using the one referenced here might still be safest.

To get both running, just wire them both up - the GPS module will have to go on a different pin to the WiFi - maybe B7. Then you literally just paste in the example GPS code and the example WiFi code one after the other, upload to the board - and then work from there.

Good luck!

• Btw, when you get a GPS module, go for a NEO7 (seven). They are now available for a decent price and superior to 6. Convenient is also this module including u-blox 7M GPS and 3 axis HMC5883L compas.

• Hi, you might find other gps boards here and there.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

A point in the right direction

Posted by Avatar for user57855 @user57855

Actions