ESP8266 Adaptor shim

Posted on
  • Hi,

I'm basically out of stock of the ESP8266 adaptor shim shown here now.

I know it's been a bit of a pain to solder, and it doesn't fit on to boards with pins very well either. Can anyone think of anything that could be changed to make the shim better next time around?

I guess it might be nice to have a 'double' shim - one that was all 0.1" and which you should put pin headers on and plug/unplug, and the original one?

• Hi,
    In my opinion current "shim" is very handy, simple and absolutely functional.
    It needs just some small amendments:
    a/ mechanical amendments so that it is possible to solder it on module in case of "pinned Pico",
    b/ use one DO of Pico (e.g. A0) to drive pin CH_PD module ESP-01, by this output it is possible to drive module ON/OFF... small current consumption,
    c/ use another DO of Pico (e.g. A1) to drive pin RST of module ESP-01 (it is possible to reset module and moreover it is possible to connect GPI016=XPD_DCDC (pin No.: 8 on chip ESP8266, easy accessible with soldering iron, on the edge of row) with pin RST... then it is possible to put module ESP-01 to mode "Deep-Sleep Wakeup" by the appropriate AT command),

Please take this as my input to this discussion. Attached please find link to document "0B-ESP8266Hardware_User_GuideEN_v1.1.pdf" as source to this topic.

http://bbs.espressif.com/download/file.p­hp?id=562

P.S.
    I have also heard some rumors that ESP8266 should be soon available in BT version!?!?!?!?
    ... it would be nice, only change of the FW in ESP-01 and you have WiFi or BT :)

• Thanks! Yes, those are great ideas. I'd forgotten about connecting the extra IOs. I guess connecting GPIO0 would be great too, as it'd then allow firmware updates without having to connect any external wires.

Any thoughts about the mechanical changes? It's actually quite hard to do because you need to get 3.3v and GND past the set of 0.05" pins. See the picture of the layout below.

As far as I can see, options are:

• Remove some of the 0.05" pins, so there's room for GND and 3.3v wires to go through
    • Turn some of the 0.05" pins into surface mount pads. Ideally I wouldn't turn all of them, as the through-holes are good for alignment and also provide more strength.

I have also heard some rumors that ESP8266 should be soon available in BT version!?

Wow, that would be interesting!

1 Attachment

• Screenshot from 2015-08-11 08:42:48.png
  • Ok, new one attached - GPIO0/2/RST and CH_PD now connected.

I've sent a bunch off to get made... They should now fit inside the Pico's pins (although might need a little sanding down the side first - I don't know what the tolerances from the PCB manufacturer will be).

1 Attachment

• Screenshot from 2015-08-13 12:12:59.png
  • Hi, I am on holiday... bad conditions for communication... I have some inspirative ideas for shim but as I see you are finished... great work!!! When I am back I will send you some ideas for discussion... maybe next generation of shim :). Please, can you publish electric diagramm to?

• Sure! It's not to say there can't be a different type of WiFi shim as well.

The info is already online. If you have Eagle CAD there's:

• Thanks for your message. Unfortunately my phone hasn't the right SW 😀... I'll have a look at it when I am at home.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

ESP8266 Adaptor shim

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions