Purchasing an Espruino, some questions

Posted on
  • Hey guys. I have been programming in Java for quite a while know and while being still in high school I wanted to really get into microprocessing, I have a number of projects I would like to test out. I have experimented with Arduino last year in a class I took so I do have some experience.
    The Espruino really interested me since it has a compact design and runs Javascript. I was wondering how would I be able to run the Espruino on a breadboard for prototyping? I am not really sure where to start and couldn't find any good info online, do I need header pins or are they included. I have not purchased the device YET. Please let me know, I plan on purchasing this baby today :)

• Getting some header pins with it is the easiest way. For the edge connections it works well... for the others you can use female headers...

Personally, I use the machined, round headers as you can see in many of my posts... for example, in this, this and this one...

• do you know where I can buy those? I don't want to end up buying the wrong one.
    Treat me like a 100% newbie to these kinds of things.

• I think the Espruino board comes with the usual 0.1" male header pins. That's what I use. If you point them down, it can be used with breadboard. In many of the pictures in the tutorials, male pins are installed pointing up, and you can then use inexpensive dupont jumpers like these (this is what I do, and what I recommend):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=dupo­nt+jumper

I personally hate breadboard and love dupont jumpers. I got the housings for them, and buy most of mine without the housings on ( like these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/131316225901 ), and then put them on to suit the task at hand (search result link has some housing kits. I didn't know about those, and just bought 100 of each size individually, and at a higher price. Crimping those connectors sucks, even with the proper tool - I wouldn't bother getting a kit with the pins). How much do I like those dupont jumpers? http://drazzy.com/e/espruino/etc/2015031­3_223243.jpg (unstaged - I count 14 lengths of dupont cable - Oh, and you can plug TO-220's into the female connectors and they make contact - visible in photo at the far right edge - a 3.3v regulator dangling from the Espruino on top of the digikey invoice to power the ESP8266)

An added advantage is that many of the cheap ebay modules and breakout boards come with male 0.1" pin header on them - which is just what you want if you're using the female to female dupont line. (Worth noting: the female connectors, and male headers work better than the male connectors and female headers)

Male to Female dupont jumpers are still useful, particularly if you're using breadboard.

• I'm probably a bit late here, but the Espruino board takes normal 0.1" pins, but it doesn't come with any pre-installed. There's some info on soldering them here as well as some links to buy them.

The Dupont jumper wires that have been suggested are great. Rather than plugging the Espruino into the breadboard I'd suggest that you build whatever circuit you want on the breadboard and then use the Jumper wires to wire from the Espruino to the breadboard (the Espruino itself would take up most of a small breadboard :).

So you've got two choices:

• solder pins to the Espruino and use Male->Female Dupont jumper wires to connect to the breadboard
    • solder sockets to the Espruino and use Male->Male jumper wires (or even just solid core wire) to make the connections. It's a little harder to solder (because you have to cut the sockets to the correct size), but it might make life easier for you.

Having said all that, in a few months the Pico will be available, and there will be an option to get it with Pins on (so it will plug right into a breadboard).

• Machined round headers (search terms: Round Header Socket - or - PCB Female IC Breakable 40pin Single Row Round Header Socket).

• Better late than never :D. I think I will go with the first option. So soldering the pins onto the Espruino and simply using Male to Female Dupont wires. Just to be sure, the pins are not soldered BUT they do come included right? The type I ordered is from one of your vendors.
    I'm not sure about what you posted allObjects, but the header socket you showed me does not need to be soldered, plus directly into the breadboard and uses male->male wires? Correct me if I am wrong :)

• There are Solderless Headers on the market, but to get them properly done is imo more difficult than to do some beginner soldering. Whole diameter and pin thickness have to be right for each other. I would go for the soldering, and it does not really matter what you choose... Get an electronics soldering iron with a fine tip and solder with core and do some soldering practice on a paper PCB with some wires... after that, you are just fine to put headers on Espruino with success. Youtube has also great clips where the you can see and get explained how to do it... search for, for example, "soldering tutorial", aor "soldering headers", etc. Whether male pins sticking upwards or downwards or female headers are mounted from the top, it mostly preferences and how you want to use it... Espruino has not only on the edge pins, therefore direct plug-in to bread board has limited applicability... therefore, mount male of female headers from the top and use the wires as described by @DrAzzy to go to the breadboard where you have your other components.

• Just to be sure, the pins are not soldered BUT they do come included right?

No, I'm afraid they don't come included. I sent them out with KickStarter rewards originally, but if you buy now you won't get any (unless the distributor decides to package some, but I don't think any do).

As @allObjects says, you can get solderless headers. I did have a play with some, but they're expensive and very hard to push in. You basically have to balance the board and pins in a vice and then wind it up very carefully. Personally I think they make it way more likely that something will go wrong and you'll damage yourself/the pins/board.

Soldering headers on yourself is actually really easy. You just solder one pin on each end - you can then re-melt them in order to make sure the pins are sitting square to the board, and when it's as you want it you just work your way along.

If you haven't done anything before you could buy something like this protoboard and a few extra sets of pins that you could practice soldering on.

• I think I will just go with these and have a go at soldering them. The machine rounded headers seemed cool but I'd rather save breadboard space for the actual circuits :p. Thanks everyone.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-breakable-­pin-header-40-Pin-1x40-Male-2-54-/110961­320013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19­d5cf604d

• Yes, those look like just what you'd need.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Purchasing an Espruino, some questions

Posted by Avatar for Ethylene @Ethylene

Actions