Connecting to the bootloader UART directly

Posted on
  • Hi,

The HY32 boards have a Prolific 2303 USB2Serial converter on board that connects to the serial port used by the bootloader. I wonder if it would be feasible to use another Espruino to talk to the serial port behind the 2303 directly to upload a firmware file (now that we have that streaming file access) or tinker with the flash.

Anybody who can say if I could just connect to the TX/RX lines behind the 2303 without frying anything while still being able to talk to the bootloader serial port?

Right now I have really no feeling (or spec) to judge what I can do to those pins and what I shouldn't.

Thanks
    Stev

• I don't think it's a good idea to connect up in addition to the PL2303, as it will almost certainly be constantly driving the outputs.

It's probably best to look up ST's own bootloader - the impression I got was that it looks on all serial ports, so you may be able to hook up to USART2 and use that instead.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do though - you know you can actually read/write flash directly from Espruino? http://www.espruino.com/STM32F1Flash

• It's probably best to look up ST's own bootloader - the impression I got was that it looks on all serial ports, so you may be able to hook up to USART2 and use that instead.

That's a nice clue. Will look into that.

Well, I thought, after my probs with the serial ports on my Mac, that going platform independent could also be accomplished by putting the files on a SD card and having one of the espruinos flashing the other. At least now that we have that streaming file io.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Connecting to the bootloader UART directly

Posted by Avatar for Stev @Stev

Actions