• Hi,

I was trying to flash a new version to my 1.3b board but that failed and now I don't really know what to do with my Espruino board as it's kind of bricked - when I plug it in to my linux box it's not recognized at all and blue and red lights are lit very dimly. All I can do is switch into bootloader mode (blue light is pulsing) at which point device pops up in the system as /dev/ttyACM0

When I try to flash with python script then I get this:

python stm32loader.py -p /dev/ttyACM0 -evw ~/Downloads/espruino_1v61/espruino_1v61_­espruino_1r3.bin 
    Reading data from /home/graf/Downloads/espruino_1v61/espru­ino_1v61_espruino_1r3.bin
    Bootloader version 0x30
    Chip id 0x430, STM32F1, performance, XL-density
    Global mass erase; this may take a while
    Writing 214728 bytes to start address 0x8000000
    Write 256 bytes at 0x8000000
        WRITE FAIL - try and recover
        WRITE FAIL - wait
        WRITE FAIL - retry
        WRITE FAIL - try and recover
        WRITE FAIL - wait

and so on for ever (well I gave up after ~15 minutes). During this time the green light is blinking from time to time.

When I try to flash with WebIDE then it's a bit different. After download is complete green and red LEDs are blinking very quickly for a couple of minutes. Then only the red LED is lit for about a minute and then I get this error message:

Can't find STM32 bootloader. Make sure the chip is reset into bootloader mode by holding down BTN1 while pressing RST

I was flashing without problems with the previous versions and also Espruino was working fine before that failed attempt to update today. Now I can't even flash 1v61.
    Any ideas, please??

• Success! After countless tries, fiddling with cables, changing ports, pushing espruino buttons in frustration etc finally it went through with no errors. After that every consecutive try so far works fine.

I don't have a clue what was the problem as I'm still using the same cable and USB port. But I guess if you get the same problem then just keep trying, it will come back to life :)

• Hi. If you're using the STM32loader you need '-k' to get it reliable - there's info on the Download page: http://www.espruino.com/Download

If you're using the Web IDE, do you have Chrome, or Chromium? On Ubuntu, Chromium is a much older version and it seems the serial port access is a bit glitchy. There's supposed to be a warning about it in the flasher, but it looks like that may be broken with the new version - I'll see about fixing it.

edit: The warning is for versions <31. To be honest v31 might be a bit dodgy, but the v32 that I get with Ubuntu 12.04 seems good.

• I'm using the latest version of Google Chrome (stable).

Don't know how I managed to skip the -k flag, I will try it the next time. Thanks.

• Got it from this site http://www.espruino.com/Serial+Bootloade­r
    Is it different instructions for other boards (I have HY-Mini too) or does it need to be updated to include -k?

• Thanks! I've just updated those docs.

The -k switch is actually a workaround for the bootloader that ships on rev 1.3 boards (it's not needed on others). Due to a silicon errata the USB is unreliable at lower clock speeds, so there's a bit of hacking around needed to increase the USB clock speeds and make it reliable.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

[solved] 1v62 - problems with flashing and espruino kind of bricked now

Posted by Avatar for graf @graf

Actions