Bluetooth issues on OS X

Posted on
  • First: boards are here! Long wait, but well worth it!

Now, I suck at soldering. In fact, I soldered for the first time about 2 hours ago. While the pin headers are easy, getting those teensy bluetooth modules on was not.

hint 1: the 4 top spots are doable to solder, just let the solder drip in the slot. But then it is best to put something underneath them so that the solder will also flow down into the other 2 spots. If you don't do that ... well, it took me a while on my first try.

Happy with my result, and only 3 of my prototyping holes soldered shut, I turned on Bluetooth on my mac ... to find nothing. I did the precautionary thing of not connecting them to the USB of my mac, but instead to the USB of an external battery. But ... nothing.

hint 2: go to "Open Bluetooth Preferences" in the Bluetooth menu. You'll see 6 groups of 2 characters separated by dashes, which will quickly turn into a readable name. It is there that you need to fill in the pairing code of 1234. Phieuw, my soldering was decent.

And finally, for those of you with a decent level of security on their Macs, you may not be running as an Administrator account. Good for you and a pat on the back. Once again though, you might run into some issues.

hint 3: in the instructions found on http://www.espruino.com/Bluetooth you will notice that the sudo command will not work. Instead, first use su to get into an account with administrator privileges. If that user is called admin, then use su admin. Once in an administrator account, you can type in the sudo command.

• Thanks for the help! I'll update the documentation (I guess I have my Mac set up differently ;) )

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bluetooth issues on OS X

Posted by Avatar for Kim @Kim

Actions