STM32: Sink / source capabilities of the chip

Posted on
  • Hello Gordon,
    I have some questions about the sink/source capabilities of the STM32 chips.
    The datasheet of the stm32f4xx specifies a sink/source current of 25 mA per pin. The maximum current consumption of the chip is rated with 150 mA. The stm32 itself consumpts from 87 to 109 mA (external clock, all peripherals enabled, f = 168 MHZ, T ambient = 25 to 85 C).
    If I understand correctly I could connect for example two LEDs (I led = 20 mA) directly to the STM32 because 150 mA (I max) - 109 (I stm) = 41 mA.
    Am I right?

• Hello,
    I forgot to mention the source of wisdom :-)

STM32F407xx datasheet

• Page 77, Table 12. Current characteristics
    • Page, 83, Table 20. Typical and maximum current consumption in Run mode, code with data processing running from Flash memory (ART accelerator enabled) or RAM
    • Page 84, Table 21. Typical and maximum current consumption in Run mode, code with data processing running from Flash memory (ART accelerator disabled)
  • Hi,

I'm afraid that if I gave you an answer I'd be guessing :)

I'd be pretty sure that it'll handle two LEDs perfectly fine though. I've connected an awful lot more than that up to it and it's been fine (although I guess it may have gone over what they suggest as the maximum current draw!)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

STM32: Sink / source capabilities of the chip

Posted by Avatar for tickTock @tickTock

Actions