ClockFace lib: Ideas

Posted on
  • Hello!

I started to upgrade existing clocks to ClockFace lib. With more ClockFace-based clocks I think we could aim to a better unified "standard" features (so we can remove old and bugged apps/widgets and avoid to duplicate code (less code = less bugs!))

I was think about some features I'd like to see in the library:

• configurable buzz at hour/half hour (similar to [https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/t­ree/master/apps/hourstrike] - I tried this app for a while but I noticed it is bugged (sometimes it does not work or it works twice) and I wasn't able to fix :( With ClockFace_menu we can configure start/end hours, the type of buzz etc.)
    • a configurable night/sleep mode - eg NotAnalog Clock stops updating the clock after midnight (but it wakes itself if user unlock the watch) - This could be an alternative to turning off the watch every night.

What do you think?

Tag for @rigrig as they're the creator of ClockFace :-)

• configurable buzz at hour/half hour

I don't think we should make the clock do this, but just look into fixing the hourstrike code. (Also, I noticed we have both hourstrike and widchime, maybe get rid of the widget, as bootcode seems the better place to handle this?)

• a configurable night/sleep mode

How about linking it to Quiet Mode? That way you can just use Quiet Mode Schedule instead of adding another schedule configuration. We can make qmsched emit an event when switching, and have ClockFace force a redraw when that happens, so the clock can adjust it's precision then.
    That's probably a good idea anyway, in case the schedule switches themes.

• I don't think we should make the clock do this

I just realized that a clockface hourstrike wouldn't work if the clock is not active 😅 Yes, bootcode should be a better place for it.

How about linking it to Quiet Mode?

That's what I was thinking! In a local branch I'm trying to "merge" the Quiet Mode Schedule into the default quiet mode menu - imho there's no need to have a "quiet mode" menu and a different app to manage it.

We can make qmsched emit an event when switching, and have ClockFace force a redraw when that happens, so the clock can adjust it's precision then.

I like it!

• configurable buzz at hour/half hour

As @rigrig says, widgets/boot code apps are the best place for this (and things like it) since they don't take up space/time if not installed, and can also apply for all apps

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

ClockFace lib: Ideas

Posted by Avatar for Alessandro @Alessandro

Actions