[Feature Suggestion] powerSave in settings

Posted on
  • Since the powerSave feature reduces the polling Interval for accelerometer etc. when its detected that the device is stationary, but not when its moving. I was wondering if its good idea to put this in the settings app: powersave = auto/on/off.
    Three modes.
    auto = when stationary
    on = polling interval 800ms always
    off = polling interval 80ms always

The only downside I see is that the user might not be aware of how it makes the accelerometer less reliable/accurate. So would have to make that clear, or put a warning when changing that setting? Or could name the setting something strange like "Accelerometer Power". Then its clear that when its off, you can't also rely on using the accelerometer.

I personally do not use the accelerometer and so I put a .boot.js file with pollingInterval 800 to increase battery usage/life.

Thoughts?

• It could be added, but the polling loop does do other things as well like checking buttons long-presses so it could impact how fast Bangle.js seems, as well as breaking step counting, movement recording and so on.

I just wonder if it's really worth it? Have you done any tests?

The power usage is between 0.3mA (high) and 0.15mA (low rate). Even at 0.3mA that's 1 month battery life on Bangle.js 2, so in reality the power draw from other apps will dwarf what you save by tweaking the accelerometer mode.

• Have you done any tests?

Unfortunately, not.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

[Feature Suggestion] powerSave in settings

Posted by Avatar for d3nd3-o0 @d3nd3-o0