Bangle.js 2 button not reacting

Posted on
  • A few weeks ago my bangle.js 2 sometimes did not react on push button, now it completely stopped and it is waiting on a push after I have uploaded an app. I can still access it via webIDE. The following command gives:

(new Pin(BTN1)).read();
    =false

when pressing. This looks like a hardware issue? Any tips?
    Meanwhile how can I start the clock through the webIDE command so i can see the time again?

• Hi @PeterS - thanks, yes that doesn't sound great.

Please could you try:

reset()

then:

setWatch(e=>print(e.state), BTN, {repeat:true,edge:0})

That should show whenever the button is pressed so we can see if it's intermittent.

And please can you try pressing the button in and then pushing it up/left/down/right a few times. Sometimes that's all that's needed for it top spring back to life

• Just back from vacation, commands followed up, response:

>reset()
    =undefined
     ____                 _
    |  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___
    |  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |
    |____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|
             |_| espruino.com
     2v12 (c) 2021 G.Williams

>setWatch(e=>print(e.state), BTN, {repeat:true,edge:0})
    =1
    >

Pressing the button every other way did not give any results.

• Ok, thanks. Please can you try connecting with the IDE and running E.reboot() which should reboot the watch? It's possible that the hardware somehow got misconfigured so that may fix it.

But if not, I'll have to get a replacement out to you.

• The E.reboot() brought the clock back. Still no reaction on the button pressed.

• Ok, thanks - I'll ask Christine to drop you a message about a replacement

• Don't want to rub it in, but I noticed quite some watches with poor build quality popping up. Hope that doesn't ruin the revenue of your Kickstarter campaign. :-(

My Bangle 2 (and Bangle 1) still work flawlessly and I love em both. :-)

• Thanks! Right now we're still at roughly 1% of watches having to be returned. It seems like a lot when you see it on the forum, but it's not actually that bad.

Obviously it's higher than I'd like (and far higher than I experienced selling devices like the Espruino Pico), but I think it's a sign that more people are using the Bangle.js 2 every day. If I think of it in terms of the abuse a piece of electronics attached to my wrist all the time has to go through, 1% failure rate doesn't seem so bad :)

The button in particular is something I'll get them to sort out for the next batch, but we're noticing in our testing here that the new batch has a lot less issues than the first batch. It's easy to forget now, but the first batch was produced in the middle of the first wave of Covid-19, so I guess maybe the manufacturer was under quite a lot of stress at the time and standards slipped.

Of course it still hurts revenue and in retrospect I priced the KickStarter rewards lower than I should have, but it's not like I'm hiring a bunch of people or have investors to keep happy, so I'm fine :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle.js 2 button not reacting

Posted by Avatar for PeterS @PeterS

Actions