You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • As @johan_m_o says, it's when the app is disconnected.

Please can you take a look at the Read more... option for apps first if you have questions like this? This one's already clearly explained in the Android app https://banglejs.com/apps/?q=android and when you asked about what the messages icons did a few days ago, they were all explained in the messages app docs too.

• My apologies Gordon I should have read the README file.

I'm feeling frustrated with the Meesages App.

. 2/3 of the screen space to read a message is sacrificed to the HEADER and the BUTTONS.
    . The initial font is tiny and unreadable
    . You have to change to the full screen mode to be able to read and scroll.
    . The colour scheme makes it harder to read
    . There is a right offset problem with the touch screen coordinates
    which means pressing ok first time is 50% of the time a miss.
    http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­371867/#comment16406025
    . Put 3 buttons into this (even when spaced apart) and good luck pressing the right one.
    http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­373167/#comment16408868
    . The 3 buttons are really an unnecessary complication and could be avoided by simpler UI design.

Definitions:
    Messages - are SMS, text, WhatsApp, short telegrams messages from people.
    Notifications are 'your phone battery is running low'

It seems the current design is more orientated to managing notifications than messages.

The AmizFit Bip does this really well (actually much better than more expensive watches, eg GTS 2).

. Message pop up is instantly readable in a highly readable font and scrollable - you just swipe down
    . At end of message scroll down to next in the list of messages
    . Swipe left to get the dialogue to delete the message
    . At the end of the list there is a Clear button that deletes all the notifications (if you wish).
    Or Button (back to exit to clock at any point).

I never had to learn any of this (though I did read the manual) - it was intuitive from day 1.

The design principles are.

. Screenspace is prioritised towards the text of the message not the user interaction.
    . Messages are deleted by the user by a deliberate user choice.
    . Single button for a single action, easy to touch, no fat finger or coordinate offset issues.
    . Restricted use of color / dithering to aid readability
    . Single highly readable small font (its about 15px but extremely clear)

Its been a few weeks since I last tried to use the messages app. So I spent a couple of days trying it
    out again. I have tested with the send debug menu in GadgetBridge and sent myself a few messages
    and it seems to work reasonably well. But today I used it in the real world and found I would get a
    WhatsApp message, fumble to touch the read full message button, find I have exited the app and
    then see the dialogue that says 'no messages' when I go back into Messages.

I know you are working hard on Bangle 2 and cant do everything so hope you dont take
    this personally. I love the B2, it just gets better. So apologies if my frusration with the
    messages App sounds a bit ranty.

I guess we need someone to take this app on and champion it.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started