trekking, gps and freeze(?) problem

Posted on
  • Today I took a short walk with the beloved B2, I activated EVERYTHING on the recorder and started the RUN application.
    The excursion was short, about 3 hours, the GPS aligned after 1 hour.
    After 2 hours the B2 left me walking with the black screen, I think because of the battery (I started with about 80% charge).

Now the questions are 2:
    1) how can I do to have a faster satellite lock?
    I didn't understand too well how to use the AGPS app and if I have to use it before every ride (which would be very inconvenient)
    2) how can I debug in order to understand where the problem is and if it actually concerns the ultra-fast discharge of the device's battery?

Thank you!

• The battery scale is a little nonlinear, so I guess it's possible that when it was showing 80% charge you were actually at a lot less... When was the last time you'd charged it?

Was the screen light on all the time? The LCD backlight draws a lot of power too.

1) how can I do to have a faster satellite lock?

Yes, just run the AGPS app. Just click the button and click 'Upload' - job done. If you haven't used your Bangle's GPS for a while you will need to run it if you want that faster GPS lock.

how can I debug

Honestly, it's not very easy to do at all. I have a Bangle that's dismantled here so I can measure power draw, so if you can reproduce easily then I can do it here.

• I tested the B2 battery from 100% and totally discharged it in 6 hours with the GPS on.

For a 3hr walk I would not risk going out with 80% battery and expect the GPS to work for more than 1 hour or so.

Before the B2 had support in the AGPS app, time to first fix would take 12 minutes BUT only if only stationary out in the open. Now I use the AGPS everytime I want to use the GPS and it gets a fix within 1 minute. I log onto the AppLoader on my phone and do it before I leave the car.

• The device had actually gone to 80% charge very quickly and the display was certainly off.
    I will do other tests and I certainly expect that the continuous search for the GPS signal may have drained the battery.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Matteo.

• Today I ran a few km, about 50 minutes.
    Following the directions the GPS got the signal in about 2 minutes, I enabled on "record" GPS, battery, steps and HR.
    I started with about 60% battery, I came back with 58%.
    Although the reading of the battery may be untrue, I would say that the test was more than satisfactory.

A detail that I do not know if it is important, before exiting I realized that I still had the bootloader version 2.10 and I made the update to 2.12.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

trekking, gps and freeze(?) problem

Posted by Avatar for uname @uname

Actions