On the direction of menu scrolling.

Posted on
  • I'm finding it odd going from the launcher to the settings menu because on the launcher, I am pushing the page, but on the settings menu I am pushing the selection.

My first thought, which may not actually feel as good in practice as it sounds in my head: What about fixing the "selection" in the centre in menus, and moving the position of the menu items instead?

• Yes this always confuses me too - menus should use same scroll direction.

• It's because you're dragging the highlighted item, although that's not always apparent because it only goes up or down by 1 before scrolling starts now the font is bigger).

But yes, it bugs me too - replacing the whole menu system with something tidier is high on my to-do list, but you can install apps right now that improve it significantly

• Ah ok. I tried TouchMenu, I haven't tried the others yet. I actually really like that in the current menus, it doesn't matter where you touch as long as the thing you want is highlighted. I am a bit clumsy with touchscreens, so for me that was a big win.

• @myownself - you might like other launchers - my favourite right now is the Desktop Launcher.
    To use install that first then delete the standard launcher.

• you might like other launchers

but this doesn't help in the e.g. settings menus.

It odds me since the beginning and I'm slowly getting used to it - but it's not a good UX.

I like the "fixing the "selection" in the centre in menus, and moving the position of the menu items" idea.

• Another issue with both menus - they do not honor bottom widgets.
    Widget's artefacts scroll with the menu.

• they do not honor bottom widgets.

I think that's because Bangle.appRect doesn't honour them - I'll get a fix in for that today

edit: nope - appRect is set correctly, and it seems like text menus work fine with bottom widgets on latest firmware. It was to do with showScroller for draggable menus - recent firmwares will now have that fixed

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

On the direction of menu scrolling.

Posted by Avatar for myownself @myownself

Actions