You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I just had a thought about this...

Right now, we use the absolute magnitude of the acceleration value. If you were to gently rock the Bangle around its axis, that would not give you any change in the value at all.

What if we use the difference in accelerometer values? That is by its very definition going to be centered, and any rotational movement would add to the value you saw.

Obviously it needs work and testing, but could be an interesting way forward anyway.

• Yes, some of my experiments used the difference and it showed promise.

• The problem is that if the readings for an axis are off centre you do get a change in the magnitude as you rotate with respect to gravity. So rotating your wrist will give a false acceleration that may look like swinging your arm while walking. It is why the continuous steps were detected by some people in only some orientations. The current algorithm is trying to detect accelerations that are independent with respect to your orientation to the downward force of gravity which is why the iPhone in my pocket agrees with the watch on my wrist.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started