You are reading a single comment by @jeffmer and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @HughB Your work with Gordon on the Pedometer is very much appreciated. I thought you might be interested in the results I have been getting using it with a different accelerometer the sc7a20 which is found in a lot of watches such as the P8, ROCK, Magic3 and SN80. The sc7a20 is a very cheap device which sells for pennies and many examples have readings that are well off centre. As a result, I have had to introduce calibration which Gordon has noted is not that simple. You have to gently move the watch into six different positions to get full calibration data - face- up/down, edge - up/down and end - up/down. However, I have only needed to calibate once. I have been comparing the step count during dog walks with that of my iPhone. The results for walking are quite impressive - here are two recent walks which are typical of the results I have been getting:

iPhone: 5121 SN80: 5124
    iPhone: 5209 SN80: 5169

I have measured this walk at 2.6 miles with the Bangle GPS recorder. Personally, I am interested in measuring steps as a proxy for distance during walks - enabling step counting at the start of a walk and disabling at the end. I am very impressed with the bangle algorithm.
    BTW: I have been using the old threshold of 14.

• I am very impressed with the bangle algorithm.

Just to be clear are you saying you are using the B2 algorithm on a SN80 and getting these results ? If so that is really encouraging.

Personally, I am interested in measuring steps as a proxy for distance during walks

Its an ok approximation method providing you work out the stride distance or have a setting for stride distance. You will know it will be different for each person depending on height. I know for me that 2000 steps (on a pavement) is 1 mile. But walking on tracks, grass, mud etc etc, stride length changes a lot.

I have not tested how accurate the Recorder calculation of distance is using the GPS trace. It may suffer from the bug I just fixed in the RUN app where the distance between two lat/lon's was not an accurate calculation. The 0.03 of RUN app should be good now.

I would definitely recommend you take a look at the RUN App. You can use it with GPS on / off. One option would be to add a stride length and when the GPS is off to estimate PACE and distance based on steps*stride length. Would save a lot of battery.

About

Avatar for jeffmer @jeffmer started