You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks for looking into this further...

the threshold should be 15, 16 or 17 as 18 is making it too insensitive.

All I can really go by is the test data, and with that data, 18 clearly came out on top in a number of scenarios. I'll change it back to 17 though and you can see.

My big concern here is the reason for the change wasn't because I thought I could do better than @HughB's testing - it was that others users have had issues with the step counter counting phantom steps when their accelerometer had a slight (totally within spec) DC offset.

The DC offset could be significantly higher than it was in @Mr_Ploppy's case and still be within spec, so I wanted to be on the high side to make it far less likely anyone encountered the phantom steps.

As noted above though the step count really is just a proxy to see how much exercise you've done over the day. My personal feeling is if you're using the step count to see how much activity you've had during the day (which I think most people are) then for many people, walking makes up only a small proportion of the day and it's much more important that the other 80% of the day is more accurate.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started