New clock - Not Analog

Posted on
  • Hi all,

today I had the (in my opinion) weird idea to create an analog clock for people like me, that like the design of analog clocks but can not read analog watch faces :-P

So I created one that shows the time with digits and displays the daily steps as well as the battery level using two hands. Screenshots that I made at 16:39 with ~2600 steps and 60% battery level are attached. I'm always happy to receive ideas, improvements etc. from all of you :) You can find the PR here.

Big thanks to the multiclock face - i used a lot from the nice braun face.

2 Attachments

• screenshot_2.png
    • screenshot_1.png
  • Gorgeous. Having said that no idea how to see the actual time, steps or battery level.

• Can you explain how to read the steps and battery level? I can't work out how it shows the values you said.

I like the fake analogue time display idea, though.

• Interesting idea! Looks stylish

• Follow the two diagonal red lines and you'll see the time, 16:38 and 16:39 respectively.

The rest is described in the PR.

Although, I have to admit I don't quite understand how the small hand shows the battery level if the screenshots are supposed to show 60%...

• So one rotation of the hand means that I have done 10k steps. So if we have 90° we have done 2500 steps. The red hand has a bit more than 90° so we have done a bit more than 2500 steps. For battery level its the same but the value is decreasing. So if we have 180° only 50% battery are left :)

I think it would be good to write a bit a better Readme and also to make the number of steps for one rotation adjustable in the settings (currently fixed to 10k steps).

• OK. Looks lovely but a bit too much for my brain to get used too :)

• I added an image to the readme, not sure if this makes things easier :-P

1 Attachment

• overview.png
  • The bat level is 100-x such that 90% is 75%. But I think its not intuitive - 270° should be 75%, 180° 50% and 90° 25%. I will change this for v1.

• That's what had me confused... I expected the battery level to go down anticlockwise.

• Yea I agree - already changed it :)

• The power plug looks funny, I like it :)
    In general, the new design looks clearer, but the original one was more stylish, IMHO.
    It would be nice to somehow combine them, just thoughts.
    Suggest more options :)

1 Attachment

• notanalog.png
  • Thanks for your input - yea I agree the first was more stylish - but I'm currently playing around a bit with the design to be able to show more data. I think I found a solution close to the first one but still shows the temperature, lock status, date and day together with bat + steps and charging state XD

Also, I want to include a timer later that can be activated via a touch event: Touch top + 5 min. and touch bottom - 5 min, similar to the lcars clock. After activating it should hide the step counter temporarily, replace the red hand + steps icon with the timer thand + icon. When time is at 0, buzz() and go back to steps mode.

• Thanks for the interesting watch (:

It would be great if the timer was connected to the clock hand. For example: if the timer is activated, then the step icon changes to a timer icon, and the red clock hand points up, with a full turn indicating the end of the timer + buzz. Like the battery level hand, it will only count down the timer, not the energy.

• That sounds great - I will try to implement this timer asap :)

• So I implemented a first version - the icon lower right changes and the color changes. The hand shows the minutes that are left and buzz whenever it is 0. In the image, I just set a 15 min. timer.

Also, the lower right shows always the most important data --> timer if enabled, charging if charged, weather if available and else the steps symbol to clarify the hand :)

1 Attachment

• screenshot_3.png
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

New clock - Not Analog

Posted by Avatar for PeerDavid @PeerDavid