• this looks as if you would draw concentric rings with an increasing radius. How can you prove, that discretisation does not produce small "holes" in your ring?

Addendum: I'm currently reading the french Wikipedia entry (well, after translation into german - my french is not good enough for maths) and it seems to be a characteristic of that algorithm that no holes are left

• Yes, that is exactly how I came to that algorithm. I had been trying to create a solid ring. At one point in desperation I started with the same polygon approach you tried, but I stopped when I hit the point limit.

It isn't described on the English wikipedia, I don't think I saw it on the German one either even though it lists many more circle drawing algorithms than the English one.

I haven't been able to read the original paper by Andres, it is paywalled, but I have read some of his later papers* and others that expand on the work. If you want to see the proof (or just out of interest) they can be found online.

• I say read, but I don't understand most of it. It took me a long time before I even remembered how the notation for sets worked.
  • It always surprises me to see how many ways there are to solve a given problem - and what brilliant solutions some people were able to invent!

About

Avatar for myownself @myownself started