• SUMMARY
    Followed all directions in this video: Bangle.js 2 Firmware Updates (Android)

STEPS I FOLLOWED

1. I found NRFTOOLBOX on the Android Playstore and installed it. (DFU Library version 1.10.3)
    2. I downloaded the latest firmware distribution: 2v11_banglejs2.zip
    3. I poked the DFU button in the NRFTOOLBOX.
    4. I poked the SELECT FILE button
    5. Selected the Distribution packet (ZIP) & poked OK (it reported "No items)
    6. I used the Android Drive app to find the download. (I used the This week button and espruino_2v11_banglejs2.zip file popped up.)
    7. Touched the app to select the file.
    8. I selected All and OK
    9. That took me back to DFU. I used SELECT DEVICE and selected Bangle.js 31f1
    10. I held the fob down until the === started, then released the fob.
    11. The download churned for a while then it stopped and displayed an error message for half a second that said DFU CHARACTERISTICS NOT FOUND

I never got a CONNECT indicator on the watch screen.
    I tried at least ten times with the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

• Switch 9 and 10. First go into DFU mode on the watch and then pick the DFU device in the list of Bluetooth devices.

• As @johan_m_o states, you are supposed to first boot into the bootloader mode (the one with =====).
    After that search the device in the NRF toolbox, but it will not show up as Bangle.js 31f1 but as Dfutarg. Selected that and it should be working fine.

• Thanks for the help.

I tried the suggestion just now, several times.
    Same exact results: DFU CHARACTERISTICS NOT FOUND
    I noticed that, when I go to the SELECT DEVICE page I see that Bangle.js 31f1 shows that it is connected, whereas, when I got to that page after putting the Bangle.js into the upload state, it shows that it is not connected.
    OH! It changed its identifier as Dfutarg! I hit the SCAN button on the SELECT DEVICE page and then found the Dfutarg device, selected it and then I saw the word CONNECTED on the watch screen. I poked the UPLOAD button on my phone and then the download started ... and finished. Now I have 2v11 installed!

I will put another reply with the amended step list.

• Here's my amended steps that worked for me.

STEPS I FOLLOWED

1. I found NRFTOOLBOX on the Android Playstore and installed it. (DFU Library version 1.10.3)
    2. I downloaded the latest firmware distribution: 2v11_banglejs2.zip
    3. I poked the DFU button in the NRFTOOLBOX.
    4. I poked the SELECT FILE button
    5. Selected the Distribution packet (ZIP) & poked OK
    6. The Search this phone page appeared and displayed No items.
    7. To find the download file I poked the This week button and espruino_2v11_banglejs2.zip file popped up. I touched the app to select the file.
    8. That took me back to DFU page. I held the fob down until the === started, then released the fob.
    9. I poked SELECT DEVICE then SCAN and selected DfuTarg. The watch screen displayed CONNECTED
    10. The download began and the progress bar on the phone let me know how far it had gone. When it finished the watch rebooted into the new firmware.

NOTE: In step 10 I expected to select the BT name of the watch but in Dfu mode (that's what it goes into when you long-press the fob and release it before the ==== stop marching across the watch screen) it switches to DfuTarg instead.

• I'm a little confused... Those are the exact steps described in the video you linked. And also what is described in the docs:
    https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2#firm­ware-updates

Was something unclear about the instructions in the video (or in the docs, if you've seen those)?

• I went back earlier and watched it again. You are exactly correct. The biggest problem I had was that I assumed that I would be sending the download to BT device named Bangle.js 31f1. In the video he does say to select DfuTarg and now that I know, it's obvious. (And sometimes what I think I know isn't correct. :)

And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I have about 45 years of experience designing and programming systems that have microcontrollers built in, so I do understand that, when you are familiar with a system it is quite difficult to point out the things that you take for granted will fly right by the noob. I'm 73 and have been retired for about 8 years, so I'm rusty and not fully up to date on all the amazing growth and popularization of everybody building and programming gadgets. I love that and want to get back into it for fun instead of work.

I think this project is well run and the cost of the Banglejs 2 was amazingly reasonable. I'm going to toy around with some things to customize it for me.

The reason I wrote out all the steps I took was for me. The reason I posted it here was incase someone had the same problem it might be helpful. I always read the forums. You set me straight about the order of operations and Raik pointed out the DfuTarg name to connect to. So thanks again to both of you.

Peace, Love, Laughter,
    Rob:-]

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

bangle.js 2 firmware install failure: Android 12: Fails to connect

Posted by Avatar for RobS @RobS