Bangle connection to Edge/Chrome fails

Posted on
  • So this is new - the connection and app uploading/removal process has been fine.

Now on clicking Connect, there's a flash of BT connectivity on the watch and then it drops and the orange "Device connection failed" bar comes up on Edge/Chrome.

Both apps have full BT permissions.

Any thoughts?

(It connects fine to the iPhone...)

• I sometimes get this. Try restarting the browser, or logging out and back in again.

• And now it's not able to pair to the iPhone either.

I have forgotten the original pairing and so am trying to repair. The BT icon flashes on and off a number of times, then stays greyed out and the phone reports that the pairing is unsuccessful.

Possibly BT failure on the Bangle?

• Thanks, yes.

I've restarted the Mac too - no joy, and now the phone won't pair either. All very odd behaviour, but without BT connection to one or the other, I'm rather stuck.

• Is it possible to do a factory reset to wipe everything back to original?

• Well, I've sorted the Edge/Chrome - had to forget it then pair it several times to get it to stick.

However iPhone keeps reporting that pairing is unsuccessful - and blaming Bangle for it. Bangle shows up in the iPhone BT list, but I can't get it to pair. Both have been switched off multiple times, connections forgotten etc. Still no luck connecting to the phone.

iOS Integration, when opened, looks like it bounces across to Messages (at least the Messages app seemingly opens and reports no messages).

• Update - now working, but it's been a long haul of resetting to factory and then building everything up again.

As noted elsewhere, the Firmware does not update from 2v10.219 to anything later. Is there any other option for this? Gordon's hex file, for example?

• The firmware does update from 2.10.219, I have updated a couple of times successfully. I think the thread you are referring is a special case.

When you get Bluetooth issues make sure any connection with Gadgetbrige is switched off. Gadgetbrige and connectivity to the IDE and the App loader are incompatible. Once Gadgetbrige has locked onto the bangle it wont allow the IDE to connect.

• iPhone doesn't used Gadgetbridge...

• With regard to the FW, the top item on the Apps page has a link to click and then a Download/Install button to click. The watch then goes through the FW install process. At the end of that, when it reboots, it first provides an indication:"no new fw". Thereafter it completes the reboot and identifies the FW as 2v10.219.

I have gone through this process more than 5 times today, and at no point is a new FW loaded onto the watch.

I'd be grateful if you could provide a link that I can use to update the FW, since you have managed to do so. However, I am clear, as has already been reported elsewhere, that the FW Update on the /apps page is not working as intended.

• @ajkm - The FW App on the Apps page was a work in progress last time I tried it. But the change log now says 0.02. I'll give a try now and see if it works.

The FW upgrade process thats been used before the App in the video below:
    https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2#firm­ware-updates

UPDATE: Tried the FW Update App and it did not work for me either. I was trying to go from 2.10.241 to 2.10.244. But when I display the firmware version after a reboot it is still 2.10.241.

• Thanks Hugh. I appreciate the confirmation.

• Oh dear. Went to do the update via the Web IDE flasher thingy, and now I'm stuck in the Reboot loop:
    SW RESET
    DFU 2V10.219
    CHECK STORAGE
    NO NEW FW
    BANK0 INVALID
    BTN1 = REBOOT

I can't get it beyond this screen...

• Also on the Web IDE page, I get this when I select the Banglejs2 board:

Sorry, the firmware update has failed.

The error was: Unable to download https://www.espruino.com/binaries/esprui­no_2v10_banglejs2.zip

Please try again, or check out the Troubleshooting page for what to do next.

• Yes - dont think the FLASH option of the IDE is meant for updating the firmware.
    The DFU method was the main method until the App came along (which does not seem to work, have logged issue #1069).

• As I describe in my more recent conversation, the DFU method has actually succeeded, although through some very frustrating disconnect-retry-connect-disconnect loops!

So, apart from that, perhaps people could use the nRF DFU method for now, until the Firmware Update app does what it says on the box?!

• perhaps people could use the nRF DFU method for now, until the Firmware Update app does what it says on the box?!

Sorry - I'll try and get a fix in for the firmware updater later today. It worked when I tested it here, but it seems maybe there's something different about the 219 bootloader.

• Thanks, Gordon.

I can't imagine how busy you must be trying to reply to all these niggling issues - and they seem to be all over the map. Without knowing what users have installed since "factory", I can see how it's a tough thing to diagnose what's going on. I'm trying to be as helpful as I can!

• Just an update - looks like the App Loader firmware update issue is due to hardware differences in some watches. I'll need to supply a new bootloader, but until that's well tested and I'm happy I'm marking the App Loader firmware updater as Beta again

More info at https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/i­ssues/1069

• Ah! Well that's a variable you could have done without!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle connection to Edge/Chrome fails

Posted by Avatar for ajkm @ajkm

Actions