Bangle 2: LCD backlight behaviour

Posted on
  • My Bangle 2 has arrived, yeah! Thanks so much, Gordon, for all the effort you put into this great project!

I have a question regarding the LCD backlight: No matter which wake up method I choose (Face up, Touch or Twist), when I execute this action, the display does not light up. I have to press the button to activate the backlight. Is this the intended behaviour? Note that the little lock disappears, so I guess, the action is detected correctly.

I'd highly appreciate an option for also enabling the backlight during wake up, since there are lots of situations where the passive lighting isn't enough to read the display.

Kind regards,
    Johannes

• Yes, too bad there is no light sensor. In my custom fw for DK08 (similar display) I have day hours interval when it does not light up. Also maybe different gesture (or second same one) could do it after unlocking even during day?

OTOH I admit it is too complex and turning it on always as you suggest is much easier :-)

• I have to press the button to activate the backlight. Is this the intended behaviour?

No - actually it was already fixed in a firmware update :) If you update to a 'cutting edge' build, or 2v11 when it's released, the backlight will turn on for watch twists as well.

• Another question regarding the backlight - mine seems to turn on every minute or so, but only when bluetooth is enabled. Why?

• That is interesting - someone posted a GitHub issue about the backlight turning on and off a while back. Is it because the Bangle is routinely being connected and disconnected? I bet the widget lights the screen when the connection status changes

• Is it because the Bangle is routinely being connected and disconnected?

For me it's when GB loses connection, which happens quiet frequently. Not sure why yet. I'll try updating everything and will keep an eye on it. Seems like it happens more frequently when I have other BT devices running simultanously from the phone, like earbuds.

• I have to press the button to activate the backlight. Is this the intended behaviour?

No - actually it was already fixed in a firmware update :) If you update to a 'cutting edge' build, or 2v11 when it's released, the backlight will turn on for watch twists as well.

I updated to the cutting edge, and not it works! Thanks!

• Where might one find the "cutting edge" build?

• PS I'm still having no luck switching on the backlight with Twist or Touch. For a number of reasons, I can't use Face Up as it comes on when I don't want/need it to (and as a musician, that's rather distracting for me and everyone around me!).

• Firmware: https://www.espruino.com/Download

Update instructions: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2#firm­ware-updates

Now that the linked video is still from Bangle 1, but the description is correct.

• That's not the cutting edge build though. You'll find that here (also linked in the firmware update instructions):
    https://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis­/master/

• @johan_m_o https://www.espruino.com/Download does actually link to the cutting edge, as well as 'normal' releases

• Don't mind me... I'm just gonna sit here and introduce my palm to my face...

• FYI: I noticed two (unrelated) things:

1. Bangle 2 is only listing the cutting edge.
    2. Bangle 1 list also includes the Bangle 2 cutting edge.
  • @neshanjo thanks - that is super handy - I'll get that fixed!

• The widget seems to be the probem. I removed it, and the backlight works as intended!

• Which widget?!

• Thanks. Is this also the Firmware version that's on the Bangle.js/apps page?

• The one called "Bluetooth Widget" in the App loader. I think line 10 is to blame:

WIDGETS["bluetooth"]={area:"tr",width:15­,draw:function() {
      g.reset();
      if (NRF.getSecurityStatus().connected)
        g.setColor((g.getBPP()>8) ? "#07f" : (g.theme.dark ? "#0ff" : "#00f"));
      else
        g.setColor(g.theme.dark ? "#666" : "#999");
      g.drawImage(atob("CxQBBgDgFgJgR4jZMawfAc­A4D4NYybEYIwTAsBwDAA=="),2+this.x,2+this­.y);
    },changed:function() {
      WIDGETS["bluetooth"].draw();
      Bangle.setLCDPower(1); // turn screen on
    }};
    NRF.on('connect',WIDGETS["bluetooth"].ch­anged);
    NRF.on('disconnect',WIDGETS["bluetooth"]­.changed);

• Ok, great! It's a tricky one as when I'm developing here, I actually want the screen to light when bluetooth connectivity changes as it draws my attention to it.

You'd hope that in most cases the connection wouldn't be repeatedly created and dropped though. Do you have some device set up that would be trying it? Maybe it's paired from one of your computer's OS menus, or it could be Gadgetbridge i guess.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle 2: LCD backlight behaviour

Posted by Avatar for neshanjo @neshanjo

Actions