Tool to update Bangle.js 2 firmware

Posted on
  • Your documentation says to use the NRF tool to update the firmware on the Bangle.js 2 watch. Gadgetbridge can also do DFU updates so is there a reason you are not recommending it to do the updates (from Android of course)? When working with the PineTime watch I found Gadgetbridge was much faster at uploading firmware than NRF. Also I found that having both the NRF tool and Gadgetbridge on the same phone caused them to interfere with each other when trying to connect to a watch.

• I wasn't even aware Gadgetbridge did firmware updates, but that is really neat!

Have yo actually been able to do a firmware update on Bangle.js using Gadgetbridge? Because there are a bunch of different protocols so it may be that Bangle's isn't supported

• I wasn't even aware Gadgetbridge did firmware updates, but that is really neat!

just checked and for PineTime they include nordic dfu java implementation
    https://codeberg.org/Freeyourgadget/Gadg­etbridge/src/branch/master/app/src/main/­java/nodomain/freeyourgadget/gadgetbridg­e/service/devices/pinetime/PineTimeJFSup­port.java#L38

• Nice - so this could definitely be implemented for Bangle.js, but it seems like it won't 'just work' for Bangle.js.

So the docs suggest using the NRF Tool because that's the way of doing firmware updates that actually works right now.

I imagine it should also be using the exact same firmware update libs so I'm surprised there is any speed difference.

However you may have noticed a beta firmware update app in the App Loader, and when that works nicely (eg I can get it to load ZIP files reliably from the espruino website) then that should be super speedy and easy as it can be done without resetting the Bangle into bootloader mode.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Tool to update Bangle.js 2 firmware

Posted by Avatar for user137188 @user137188

Actions