Setting a bluetooth a passkey?

Posted on
  • When I try to set a BLE passkey the menu show BETAnone and numbers ontop of each other.
    I can still connect with out the passkey, App Loader and Gadgetbridge.

I see the wiki say this is still beta, but what would you expect to work and not at the moment?

Thanks
    Matt

• Hi Matt,

I believe passkey should work - I think the only issue is the text of 'Passkey BETA' is too long for the menu item?

• I see that now, will ignore the over drawing.
    Tested setting the pass code on another watch could still connect from android and mac with out it.
    What can I do to get more info to debug this?
    I've got swd working on a pi using openocd if that helps.

• Maybe the device is already whitelisted?
    I tried passkey with Android and it does nor work for me. It seems that 6 digits are not expected.

• could still connect from android and mac with out it.

Do you mean you could actually connect with the Web IDE? Bluetooth is a bit strange in that it allows devices to connect, but then the second they try and access anything (like the Bluetooth serial port Bangle.js exposes) it should ask for the passkey.

Honestly it's a really hard one to debug - you could try uploading some code with the Web IDE that queried NRF.getSecurityStatus every second and wrote the response to the screen, and you might get some idea what was happening

• I made a quick app here https://whatawholeone.github.io/BangleApĀ­ps/#btpasstest
    Aside: The App Loader github icon links to master rather then the btpasstest branch

Does only refresh on button press.
    With a passkey set I get:
    connected: true
    encrypted: false
    mitm: false
    bonded: false
    key: 333456

From the Web IDE I send scripts and read from storage, and the mobile, Gadgetbridge can read battery percentage and push notifications.

• Wow, ok, thanks - I'll look into that then. If the passkey is set, the UART should only be accessible with an encrypted connection

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Setting a bluetooth a passkey?

Posted by Avatar for WhatAWholeOne @WhatAWholeOne

Actions