• Should my understanding that the provision script only installs when a version of gcc is not present, then it is quite possible that the old gcc content is still there. It ran two years ago, but fails now.

Yes, that's entirely possible. While I try and document what's needed in https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/master/README_Building.md I can't document every eventuality - specifically that something has been set up on the computer beforehand that wouldn't normally be set up.

The provision script does not permanently install GCC - it does it only for that session - so this exact thing does not happen. It is however possible that at some point you followed some steps you found on the forum or googled that would have permanently installed the compiler.

I can't remember the specific version used but it's easy enough to find in scripts/provision.sh

• Wed 2021.10.27

'While I try and document what's needed in ... I can't document every eventuality'

I'm totally with you here. Upon weeding through all the new terms, what is there is nicely laid out and well documented.

A month ago when I first discovered the previous (2 yrs ago) install wasn't going to cooperate, I had this grandious idea to document step-by-step in order to create a nice pictorial tutorial for Win10 machines.

Four weekends of fun and surprises has exposed the reality that there are too many permutations and combinations of the individuals parts that are required to allow that incredibly complex process to function 100% of the time.

And as you have pointed out, every eventuality is just too complex to create a single tutorial. Each user will have it's own nuances and installed program structure, along with an unknown level of updates that may or may not be current and at the level needed for the scripts to run. The only real way is exactly how I'm floundering right now, just keep asking questions to resolve each hiccup along the way. Painful, . . . and an incredibly steep learning curve.

As your nicely laid out step-by-step process is the simple basic process that will work when understood, it is in fact the better way to get individuals started.

• Wed 2021.10.27

'The provision script does not permanently install GCC'

This is a good tid-bit of detail related to my specific issue.

I got as far as openning the provision script and found

if [ ! -d "gcc-arm-none-eabi-8-2018-q4-major" ]; then
              curl -Ls https://github.com/espruino/EspruinoBuil­dTools/raw/master/arm/gcc-arm-none-eabi-­8-2018-q4-major-linux.tar.bz2 | tar xfj - --no-same-owner

and have run out of time to dig deeper.

My plan for the weekend is to run the removal command suggestion provided in post #6 and determine if progress can be made.

• Sun 2021.10.31

'It is however possible that at some point you followed some steps you found on the forum or googled that would have permanently installed the compiler.'

Thanks @Gordon, that worked.

Had I not taken extensive notes during this recent VSCode revitalization, it is unlikely I would have discoverd how gcc gets installed.

The day I re-cloned the Espruino repository, I upgraded nRFConnect which forced the install of the SDK15 for the nRF52 chips, and also upgraded make, nrfutil, and esptool to get the latest versions.

During the process of upgrading the above, (maybe during some future install - which one)

this warning popped up:

'The program 'arm-none-eabi-gdb' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt install gdb-arm-none-eabi'

I followed the instructions:

sudo apt install gdb-arm-none-eabi

which unpacks and installs (around thirty lines in)

Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 gcc-arm-none-eabi amd64 15:4.9.3+svn231177-1 [17.3 MB]
    8% [2 gcc-arm-none-eabi 1,871 kB/17.3 MB 11%]

So, future firmware builders, beware when upgrading nRFConnect to build for nRF52

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started