• ---cont

Before I start making changes;

'So apt get remove arm-none-eabi-gcc I think? Then run provision again.'
    'If you don't have anything installed then provision.sh should do it for you automatically.'

If I grasp the intent of the above, the provision script should only install gcc if gcc was not present before the script is run. Am I understanding that correctly?

Under the assumption that is the correct understanding, I Googled a bunch and found this, mildly related tid-bit.

Where is GCC ARM none Eabi installed?
    Installing the ARM Toolchain for Windows

Download and run the installer to install arm-none-eabi-gcc and arm-none-eabi-gdb. Select the default destination folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain\10 2020-q4-major.

I did not follow those instructions, but did some poking around and along with:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cg­i?id=96882

My version is subtlety different than that one mentioned from a year ago, and now

make what I believe to be an astute observation.

History:
    Remember, I cloned the repository following the Readme build instructions over two years ago, which after a few weekends was able to get running. I build one .hex file and flashed it just to gain a bit of confidence.

Never touched that install, other than to look at the .c .h source for the Neopixel functions and where they were located.

One month ago, I made an attempt to compile the nRF52 stuff to see if a build was possible, knowing that many changes had occurred and likely would fail. It did.

Made a backup of all the old cloned files there, and followed the step-by-step process that we did two years ago, starting with cloning the current Espruino repoistory.

Now for the astute observation:
    Should my understanding that the provision script only installs when a version of gcc is not present, then it is quite possible that the old gcc content is still there. It ran two years ago, but fails now.

What should the current gcc version be?

About