Alternative Vector font ?

Posted on
  • @Gordon. The Custom font converter is great but it means you have to create seperate functions for each size of the font. I am wondering if there could be the possbility of selecting a replacement Vector font from font.google.com ? What I have in mind would be the ability of the user to add a module (or code) created by a converter tool that would allow a user to have an alternative Vector font. Then in settings the user could select a setting 'Custom Vector Font' rather than the system Vector font.

• I had considered this but actually rendering an existing vector font nicely is extremely difficult - on desktop a lot of work goes into it and the vector font takes up a lot of space. Originally we used a font created from a truetype font and it was a complete mess, which is why @NebbishHacker ended up designing something from scratch that actually rendered really well.

What might be a possibility is to render vector line fonts, but I don't think that'll really help you much there isn't a huge selection of those.

• Then in settings the user could select a setting 'Custom Vector Font' rather than the system Vector font.

As Gordon mentioned, we gave hershey line font a try and it was much more complex and larger in size than the vector font that NebishHacker designed.

• There actually is some code in Espruino now that will handle line fonts, which gives you really nice rotation and scaling behaviour at smaller font sizes - although honestly it only really makes sense for buffered 16 bit screens since then you get nice antialiasing (and neither Bangle.js 1 or 2 have that).

It also really requires a custom-made font as well - even Hershey is a bit more complex than required, so it's of limited use. It's really only in there right now because a customer is using it in their devices.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Alternative Vector font ?

Posted by Avatar for HughB @HughB

Actions