Bangle Emulator

Posted on
Page
of 3
First Prev
/ 3
  • Sun 2021.08.29

Reply to @sebi post #48

from post #48 'the Emulator is working properly and you refresh that Emulator screen, you will lose the connection with the WebIDE'

Yes. As @Gordon also pointed out in post #26 We are attempting to understand what event is causing the refresh on your PC.

• That day I was experimenting with the 2x3 Pixel Clock accessible at https://banglejs.com/apps/#clock. Just click on the Try in Emulator icon and it will bring you there. Code line number 28 will match.

But really, my issue occurs whatever the code in the right hand side panel is (the panel can be empty). It occurs when I want to connect the WebIDE to the Emulator (Connect / Disconnect plug icon > Emulator). At this stage, I am not uploading any code from the right hand side panel into the emulator yet.

Do you see the above code block with a fresh start of the browser pointing to http://www.espruino.com/ide/ ?

What I see is the latest code I played with: currently it is code of the 2x3 Pixel Clock. If I clear cookies and other site data from Chrome, I get this in the WebIDE right hand side panel:

var  on = false;
    setInterval(function() {
      on = !on;
      LED1.write(on);
    }, 500);

...which is the panel default content I guess. But when trying to connect to the Emulator, the problem of getting a white emulator window still occurs.

• Reply to post #52

'That day I was experimenting with the 2x3 Pixel Clock'

Thank you, that clears that up.

'At this stage, I am not uploading any code from the right hand side panel into the emulator.'

Now this statement might be key here.

As when I click the Orange 'Connect' button and then select 'Emulator' from the modal dialog, the code block on the R-Hand editor side of the IDE is then viewable in the pop-up Emulator Window.

Please try cut-n-paste the following:

Bangle.setLCDPower(1);
    Bangle.setLCDTimeout(0);

var scenes = [
      function() {
        y = -100;
        var step = 4;
        var i = setInterval(function() {
          y+=step;
          if (y>70) {
            clearInterval(i);

i = undefined;
          }
          g.clearRect(0,y-(step+1),240,y-1);
          g.drawImage(Bangle.getLogo(),0,y);
        }, 20);
        Bangle.setLCDMode();
        g.clear();
        return function() {
          if (i) clearInterval(i);
        };
      },
      function() {
        var txt = [" ____                 _ \n"+
              "|  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___ \n"+
              "|  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |\n"+
              "|____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|\n"+
              "         |_| espruino.com\n\n",
        "The JavaScript Interpreter for uCs\n",
        "  * On-chip JS Interpreter",
        "  * GPS, Acclerometer, Compass",
        "  * 64 MHz, 64kB RAM, 512kB + 4MB Flash",
        "  * 240x240 IPS LCD",
        "  * Speaker & Vibration motor",
        "  * Bluetooth LE",
        "  * 1 week battery life",
        "",
        "Includes:",
        "  * Tensorflow AI",
        "  * Bluetooth LE central & periph",
        "  * Graphics Library",
        "  * VT100 terminal",
        "","",""
        ];
        var n=0;
          Terminal.println(txt[n]);
          n++;
          if (n>=txt.length) {
            clearInterval(i);
            i=undefined;
          }
        }, 200);
        Bangle.setLCDMode();
        return function() {

if (i) clearInterval(i);
        };
      },
      function() {
        var img = require("heatshrink").decompress(atob("o­NBxH+5wA/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/A­H4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/A­HGpAAoQKv4ADCBQAeqsrAAejBw9/B4oABqt/IGep­Hw5CEQspALH5hBC5pAvv4/MAALFkIBWpPI6IHqpA­u0Z3GfYOpRYdPQEhALYIp2FBYNVI4JAvvL4LH0yB­YAFJAQQQ5Ay1JAFftBAQBYxCDv+qIGiCHIQiGnIB­fOv5BJIQRAyIJkrvKEkIBrFBB4qEGIGRCNYsZAQI­QV/IZDEiICRCDQVJAUIQVPC4lVIF6yJQYpAZ5t/F­YvNIBepqtVIJGjIDoqBDY2pdYo3DfAhBIQLmpvIc­DvIrC5oJEIAhTCGQmj5qgEC4t5e7YrBqt5BI6UFB­g15v4XHbQwAQb4oAKv7NKABdVRoYATUAwnICqjZF­IMdVE4+jXI4XGYCxBFFZN/M5OpCxUrvJ/ZFYmjvN­VAAY+KCwpDBC6YAV5vNC9oA/AH4A/AHYA=="));

g.clear();
        y = 0;
        var step = 4;
          y+=step;
          g.clear();
          g.drawImage(img,60,60,{rotate:Math.sin(y­*0.03)*0.5});
          g.flip();
        }, 20);
        Bangle.setLCDMode("120x120");
        return function() {
          if (i) clearInterval(i);
        };
      },
      function() {
        var rx = 0, ry = 0;

// draw a cube
        function draw() {
          var rcx=Math.cos(rx),
            rsx=Math.sin(rx),
            rcy=Math.cos(ry),
            rsy=Math.sin(ry);
          // Project 3D coordinates into 2D
          function p(x,y,z) {
            var t;
            t = x*rcy + z*rsy;
            z = z*rcy - x*rsy;
            x=t;
            t = y*rcx + z*rsx;
            z = z*rcx - y*rsx;
            y=t;
            z += 6;
            return [240 * (0.5 + x/z), 240 * (0.3 + y/z)];
          }

var a;
          // draw a series of lines to make up our cube
          a = p(-1,-1,-1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,-1,-1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,1,-1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,1,-1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,-1,-1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,-1,1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,-1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,-1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,-1,-1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,-1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,-1,-1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,-1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,1,-1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(1,1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,1,-1); g.moveTo(a[0],a[1]);
          a = p(-1,1,1); g.lineTo(a[0],a[1]);
        }

// rotate and redraw the cube
        function step() {
          // rotate
          rx += 0.1;
          ry += 0.11;
          // draw
          g.clear();
          g.setColor(0xFFFF);
          draw();
          g.flip();
        }

Bangle.setLCDMode("doublebuffered");
        g.clear();g.flip();
        var i = setInterval(step,50);
        return function() {
          clearInterval(i);
        };
      },
      function() {
        var img = require("heatshrink").decompress(atob("o­NBxH+5wA/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/A­H4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/AH4A/A­HGpAAoQKv4ADCBQAeqsrAAejBw9/B4oABqt/IGep­Hw5CEQspALH5hBC5pAvv4/MAALFkIBWpPI6IHqpA­u0Z3GfYOpRYdPQEhALYIp2FBYNVI4JAvvL4LH0yB­YAFJAQQQ5Ay1JAFftBAQBYxCDv+qIGiCHIQiGnIB­fOv5BJIQRAyIJkrvKEkIBrFBB4qEGIGRCNYsZAQI­QV/IZDEiICRCDQVJAUIQVPC4lVIF6yJQYpAZ5t/F­YvNIBepqtVIJGjIDoqBDY2pdYo3DfAhBIQLmpvIc­DvIrC5oJEIAhTCGQmj5qgEC4t5e7YrBqt5BI6UFB­g15v4XHbQwAQb4oAKv7NKABdVRoYATUAwnICqjZF­IMdVE4+jXI4XGYCxBFFZN/M5OpCxUrvJ/ZFYmjvN­VAAY+KCwpDBC6YAV5vNC9oA/AH4A/AHYA=="));

g.clear();
        y = 0;
        var step = 4;
          y+=step;
          g.scroll(0,1);
          g.drawImage(img,Math.random()*240,Math.r­andom()*240,
            {rotate:Math.random()*6.3, scale:0.5+Math.random()});
        }, 1);
        Bangle.setLCDMode();
        return function() {
          if (i) clearInterval(i);
        };
      }

];
    var sceneNo = scenes.length-1;

var stop;
    function next() {
      sceneNo++;
      if (sceneNo>=scenes.length) sceneNo=0;
      if (stop) stop();
      clearInterval();
      stop = scenes[sceneNo]();
      setTimeout(next, 10000);
    }
    next()

• Sun 2021.08.29

from post #36 ' You're on Windows 10 by the look of it so I guess Edge is installed anyway - what if you run the IDE in that?'

@Gordon I launched the same in Edge, but the Emulator screen never populates. Could this
    be similar to what @sebi is experiencing when using Chrome?

Not sure if this might be related, but I'm seeing a few recent posts where individuals are
    seeing 'module not found' errors. When I load the direct URL link(s), the browser does render that code source for me. Could there be a server blocking URL requests for some that is related to the socket data exchange for the Emulator?

• Please try cut-n-paste the following

Still getting a white emulator window.
    Which makes sense again, as the problem occurs when trying to connect to the emulator, which takes place before uploading any code to it....

• As I explained in post #53 as soon as I click the 'Emulator' button, and as the Emulator pop-up opens, it's canvas is immediately populated with viewable content.

@Gordon usually will respond early in the week. Maybe he'll suggest some ideas on how to proceed.

• As I explained in post #53 as soon as I click the 'Emulator' button, and as the Emulator pop-up opens, it's canvas is immediately populated with viewable content.

You mean with viewable content coming from your code right? Not the default Bangle.js boot content?
    Indeed I am surprised of this... I thought the process was to connect first (to see the default Bangle.js boot content) and to save the code from the right hand side panel in a second step to see how it performs in the Emulator. According to what you say, I must be wrong. I thought such behaviour would occur only in presence of &upload&emulator at the end of the url...

What I remember for sure is that I was able to experiment typing some operations in the WebIDE's REPL directly (left hand side panel) once connected to the emulator, which currently I can't.

• I just tried your suggestion from post #52 https://banglejs.com/apps/#clock

When I click on the 'Try in Emulator' button, I'll agree that the Emulator Pop-up Window doesn't immediately show. I have to dismiss the 'connecting' modal dialog, then refresh the entire page as @Gordon had previously pointed out. At that point the Emulator Window becomes visible with the clock clearly visible. I never need the upload button.

I then block copied the content from post #53 into the R-Hand editor and clicked the 'Upload' button. The animations then immediately execute in the Emulator.

• Yes, the pop-up emulator appears but with blank content. There's also another "SELECT A PORT..." pop-up window the reads "CONNECTING...". I've tried refreshing the emulator window and closing it and refreshing the main IDE page and connecting to the emulator again but still get the same result.

I don't think any code from the right-side of the IDE is being loaded, presumably because the connection to the emulator never succeeds. Chrome seems to cache whatever was last entered into the right-hand side, so the content of my right-hand pane is different from yours (and is the code I most recently uploaded to my watch).

• @Gordon I launched the same in Edge, but the Emulator screen never populates. Could this
    be similar to what @sebi is experiencing when using Chrome?

Yes, seems so.

I think things are getting a bit confused here. As far as I can tell @sebi and @TTBangler are having the exact same problem: The emulator window is blank.

When the window is blank, there won't be a connection to the IDE, so what's in the left or right hand side of the IDE has no effect whatsoever.

I took another look at this and I think I might have spotted a problem. Please can you refresh the IDE and try again now?

I was opening the window and then waiting 500ms and sending a message to it to initialise it. I think what's happened is maybe Chrome has changed and now throws away any posed messages if they are sent before the window has initialised - so if the emulator takes more than 500ms to load it doesn't initialise.

It worked fine for me basically all the time because I'm based in the UK and I get a fast connection to the UK-hosted espruino.com, but for some others especially if you have a slow connection or the computer is slower the window can take longer than 500ms to load. I've now tweaked things to add an 'onload' handler and I hope everything will be more reliable

• Hurray!! You are a boss Gordon!! It is working again!

Indeed for a year only, I moved to a place with a low speed connection, certainly when I noticed the problem...

Thank you!

• Great! Glad it's finally all sorted!

edit: this also explains why a refresh worked for me - everything would already have been cached by the second reload, even if I could get it to break the very first time I tried it.

• I am also pleased to report that the emulator is now working for me too (in the States).
    A brilliant realization and fix @Gordon, thank you!

• edit: this also explains why a refresh worked for me - everything would already have been cached by the second reload, even if I could get it to break the very first time I tried it.

It's not that important now that the emulator is working again, but still, I wonder why this trick didn't work for me too...

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle Emulator

Posted by Avatar for d3nd3-o0 @d3nd3-o0

Actions