MDBT42Q Built in thermometer

Posted on
  • Hi,

I want a small data logger with only
    the pure MDBT42Q, a CR2032 (or similar) and the built-in temperature sensor.
    Is this sensor good enough for recording the room temperature every 15 min
    (for about 7-14 days) without requiring particularly high precision, but it should not drift too much when the voltage drops.
    Does the chip heat up too much to record the room temperature?
    (Maybe even secured under glue)?

Or do I need something like a DS1820
    Has the board enough power to drive this sensor?

• Hi,

Is this sensor good enough for recording the room temperature every 15 min without requiring particularly high precision, but it should not drift too much when the voltage drops.

It should be fine, yes. It won't drift, however you need to calibrate it first.

• So just measure the temperature with a device you trust, lets say it's 20 degrees C.
    • Run var calib = 20 - E.getTemperature();
    • Then whenever you read the temperature just do E.getTemperature()-calib

You only need to do that once per device. Otherwise it's fine.

Does the chip heat up too much to record the room temperature?

No, it should be fine in normal use. If you're doing BLE scanning or heavy calculation then maybe, but for doing something like recording room temperature you're good.

Or do I need something like a DS1820... Has the board enough power to drive this sensor?

You can use the DS18B20 with the MDBT42Q, but I don't think you need to. As above, the inbuilt one is probably fine

• sounds good.

is there a way to find out/estimate how much space is left from the 512k flash to store
    time/value pairs?

• it does, tnx

as i havent got a MDBT42Q jet,
    it would have been interesting how much much of the 512 kb flash is
    left for logging - but i guesstimate its more than enough

• Regardless of what Espruino device you have, require("Storage").getFree() should work fine.

There may be the odd bit of flash left outside storage on some builds, but the vast majority is usually in Storage

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

MDBT42Q Built in thermometer

Posted by Avatar for ingoiotESPruino @ingoiotESPruino

Actions