You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I've just pushed some new code to the Espruino, so the cutting edge travis builds will have a new step counter: https://www.espruino.com/binaries/travisĀ­/master/

Basically it's a much simpler ~3Hz low-pass filter with virtually no ringing, with the previous counter which handles 4 steps in ~8 seconds. I'd be really interested to see how it performs.

Now I don't have a fitbit, but wearing this and a totally standard Q3 watch on my wrist has the Q3 reporting almost exactly half the number of steps. If I actually count what I consider to be a step (one foot hitting the ground) then Bangle.js is now seems pretty much spot on so I can only assume that the Q3 is actually reporting a step as 'one,two'.

I've been typing for several minutes now and it's yet to report a single step, so I think that's a good sign too.

@HughB how would you feel about running the 'acceleration recorder' over the course of a whole day, and taking some step count figures from other devices over that time period? I feel like that'd give a really good baseline that we could try these algorithms against, as obviously the odd little sections of walking data aren't really cutting it.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started