You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I dont think there is anything new to test yet. But it would be good to gear up for testing something new as real world tests take up a lot of time and require focus to record the results and repeat the same test again etc.

The steps_mc35.js on page 3 of this thread is my attempt to improve on the current firmware, on the basis that experimenting in Javascript is a lot easier than compiling the C and flashing a new version of firmware onto your watch. The key issue with the current step counting algorithm is that it counts steps when you are not walking eg when sat at a desk typing, when driving, when sleeping. Its no good waking up with 1200 steps on your step counter when all you have been doing is sleeping in bed for 8 hours. This is due to a couple of problems. 1) the low pass filters keeps oscillating for 5-7 'rings' after the movement has stopped 2) the firmware only enforces 6 steps in 6 seconds but does not enforce the period between each and every step. So example sssss_s (where s is a step and _ is a longish gap) is accepted as long as it took 6 seconds. What is needs is that the gap between each step is checked against the timestamp of the last so that it falls within 0.3s to 1s.

steps_mc35.js adds a gating meachanism to shut output of the filter off if the movement has stopped and secondly adds a state machine to check the gap berween each step. You would be more than welcome to test that so that you get a feel for how I was experimenting. Just load the file onto the watch through the IDE and execute it through the FileManager.

When testing I normally wear the bangle and another smartwatch like a FitBit or AmizFit Bip on the same wrist. I record step counts at start and end of the test period and the type of activity and compare results. As well as walking 1,2 or 3 miles I check counts when sat at a desk working for a few hours, when driving, when sleeping.

The conclusion at the moment is that we need to try a different low pass filter that has less ring. If we can get close to 1 ring when the movement stop that can be compensated for in the state machine.

About