bluetooth appears to be off

Posted on
  • Hello good people,
    I have two identical puck.js v2. They both fully functional untill one of them stopped appear in the bluetooth dialog when connecting to web IDE, while I see second device in the dialog just fine.

I did a reset and a hard reset, when I insert a battery a red light blinks as expected I can even connect to this puck via USB serial and write code to it via web IDE. Only bluetooth is gone.

Any ideas how to investigate this problem further?

• Hi - if you can connect by USB serial, please could you run:

• reset(1) - this will clear out any saved code
    • NRF.getSecurityStatus().connected - this will return true if the Puck is connected to another device

The most likely situation is some other device is auto-connecting to the Puck - especially if you ever configured the Puck as a BLE HID device, some operating systems decide that once connected they will just keep connecting whenever they see the device - and that stops any other devices getting connected

• Hi Gordon,
    Thank you for your response.
    This is make sense, but in my case NRF.getSecurityStatus().connected returned false.

My steps were:

1. Connect via USB
    2. upload reset(1) + out put the NRF.getSecurityStatus().connected
    3. disconnect from USB
    4. insert the battery
    5. search via bluetooth dialog in Chrome on my mac then search in the webble app on ios.

I also tried to run

var devices;
    NRF.findDevices(function(d) {
      devices = d;
      console.log(devices);
    }, 50000);

I started with 1000 then raised the time to find. No devices found. I expected it to find second Puck nearby.

Maybe I can somehow debug bluetooth module itself, run diagnostics, get more info?

• I also tried to run NRF.findDevices

Wow, and nothing at all?

Please could you try and take a picture of the area where the aerial is? (the white thing on the blue module) I guess it's possible the aerial on the Puck got damaged?

• Wow, and nothing at all?

Yep, empty array.

I guess it's possible the aerial on the Puck got damaged?

Could be, it happened after I was taking Puck in my jeans small pocket, but I can not detect any visual damages on the device.
    Please see attached.

1 Attachment

• IMG_5912 2.jpg
  • Thanks, that's a great photo!

Honestly, I think in that case it might be best to return it and swap it for a new one. It'd be the first time it's happened but it sounds like maybe something has gone wrong internally.

But first, just to be sure - if you do NRF.findDevices on the other Puck, how many devices does it see? A lot?

• Thanks, that's a great photo!

thank you :)

Honestly, I think in that case it might be best to return it and swap it for a new one. It'd be the first time it's happened but it sounds like maybe something has gone wrong internally.

Thank you for this, where do I send it?

But first, just to be sure - if you do NRF.findDevices on the other Puck, how many devices does it see? A lot?

Yes, it found couple of devices around (same spot as a first one).

• Thanks - I'll drop you an email now....

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

bluetooth appears to be off

Posted by Avatar for garciamax @garciamax

Actions