Alternative IDE?

Posted on
  • Hi all. While the Web IDE is quite impressive, I really would like to use Jetbrains WebStorm which is a professional grade Javascript IDE. It supports plugins to implement things like interfaces to external devices and I'm sure it is possible to create one that makes use of the espruino CLI application to do the upload and run the code on the Puck or Bangle. But I'm not into reinventing wheels - got a project to complete and a deadline - so I just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting something like this working?

TIA
    Martin

• The easiest method is just to use the espruino CLI (https://www.npmjs.com/package/espruino) with the --watch command.

Just start that in a separate window then every time you save the file (no matter what IDE) it'll get re-uploaded - the REPL won't be integrated in the IDE though, it'll just be in that separate window.

The only gotcha is that Bluetooth Low Energy support from the command-line is a complete pain sometimes. It really depends on what system you're using how easy it is to get it working - Mac OS and Linux are ok, Windows is a nightmare

• Hello Gordon and thanks for that. I had been assuming that I would have to do something along those lines if I hand carve it myself - was just hoping that someone else had already done the grunt work! Oh, well, back to the reference manual. I tried what you suggested and got errors out of espruino about no ports found - checked the version number and the version installed is ancient - need to update it!

Martin

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Alternative IDE?

Posted by Avatar for maby @maby

Actions